5 Bite Diet Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Signa's journal

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Signa's journal Empty Signa's journal

Post  signa Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:13 pm

Friday, February 13

Morning: black tea, women's vegan MV, D3, Ovega omega-3 capsule

Afternoon: 5 bites English muffin half with 1 slice vegan cheese

Evening: 5 bites black bean and quinoa taco

signa

Back to top Go down

Signa's journal Empty Re: Signa's journal

Post  signa Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:48 pm

Happy Valentine's Day!  I love you

Morning:  MV, D3, o3, B12, black tea

Afternoon:  1/3 cup oatmeal with blueberries and walnuts

Evening:  5 bites Sloppy Janes on English muffin half (lentils and onions with BBQ sauce)

Swim 40 minutes

Weigh-in on Thursdays

signa

Back to top Go down

Post  signa Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:37 pm

Monday February 16 - Hi 5-biters Smile

a.m.:  MV, o3, D3, B12

p.m.:  1/3 cup sliced banana and chopped walnuts

p.m.:  5 bites steamed broccoli with tahini sauce

Recipe for tahini sauce:

2/3 cup water
   1/3 cup chickpeas (if using canned garbanzo beans, rinse and drain them first)
   3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
   2 tablespoons tahini
   1 tablespoon chia seed (optional, for thickness)
   2 cloves garlic
      1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  Add salt to taste (I don't add it, but I'm used to cooking and flavoring food without it)

Put everything in a blender and blend until smooth.  Flaxseed will also work as a thickener. I've made this without any thickener, though, and it still tastes great.  Use on steamed or raw veggies and salads, baked potatoes, on cold cucumber salad,  on rice or other grains. This makes 1 cup of sauce, so if you don't want that much, try cutting the ingredients in half, it will still taste good.  

I put about a tablespoon of sauce over two large broccoli florets for my meal. tongue  

If you want to use up some of your canned chickpeas after making this sauce,* put a little onion in a skillet with a small amount of water and cook until softened. Add 1/3 cup chickpeas, a little cumin, paprika, and chopped garlic and cook until fragrant and chickpeas are heated through. Add water by the tablespoon to keep everything from sticking.  Serve chickpeas with a spoonful of tahini sauce. Bon appetit 5 bites!

* Most 14-ounce cans of any beans will contain about 1 1/2 cups of cooked beans, so you will have plenty of garbanzos left over from this recipe to make more bean meals. Look for no-salt-added or lower-sodium canned beans to cut back on sodium. A good rule for sodium is that the sodium per serving should not be more than the calories per serving, so check labels.

signa

Back to top Go down

Post  JiffaCake Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:23 pm

Thank you for the recipe!

JiffaCake

Back to top Go down

Post  signa Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:06 pm

You are so welcome! cat It's pretty challenging for me to come up with recipes that will work with so little food. alien  I live alone and I don't have the freezer space or the interest in having tons of leftovers, so I'll have to get creative on the days I end up cooking something or wanting something different!

Morning:  MV, D3, o3, B12

Noon:  1/3 cup romaine and kale mix  with vegan Caesar dressing and two bread cube croutons rabbit

Night:  5 bites chickpea salad open face sandwich

Recipe for Chickpea Salad Sandwich:  

(makes one 5-bite sandwich or salad)

1/3 cup chickpeas
1 teaspoon mustard, any kind
2 teaspoons mayo, any kind
1/4 stalk celery, diced fine
any other  veggies you like:  diced bell pepper, red onion, shredded carrots, sliced olives, etc.  
freshly ground pepper

Mash the chickpeas in a small bowl with a potato masher, a pastry blender, or a fork.  Stir in the diced celery and any other veggies or options, the mustard, mayo, and ground pepper. Spread on toasted English muffin half or scoop onto a lettuce leaf. Sprinkle paprika on top for color.

NOTES:  You can use the tahini sauce from the recipe above instead of mayo.  I added finely chopped walnuts for extra crunch and put a small thin slice of tomato on top.  

Bon Appetite 5 Bites!

signa

Back to top Go down

Post  mindful86 Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:47 pm

You are doing fantastic signa! Keep it up. Thank you for the recipes.

mindful86

Back to top Go down

Post  JiffaCake Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:41 am

Your meals are healthy and inspiring. Good for you.

JiffaCake

Back to top Go down

Post  signa Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:38 pm

Thanks JiffaCake. I love you

I'm watching my cholesterol and vegan works best for me for that.  But it's still a challenge with the tiny portions! Whole foods work best, like oatmeal, fruits, veggies, and canned beans are great because they are so versatile and can be portioned out.

Good luck to all of us!   cat

a.m. - MV, o3, D3, B12

p.m. - English muffin half toasted  and spread with 1/3 cup chopped cucumbers and tomatoes with tahini sauce.  

p.m. - 1/3 cup curried chickpeas

Curried chickpeas:

This is a fast and easy delicious curry sauce that is fat-free, low sodium,  dairy-free, and filling. It can be used on beans, potatoes, rice, and steamed veggies.  This is the entire recipe I  normally use, and it makes a lot.  This will freeze fine, or serve it to friends and family with a side of (even more!) chickpeas, steamed cauliflower and carrots, or over baked potatoes. Feel free to cut the recipe and portion the ingredients the way you like, it's easy and versatile.

1 tablespoon curry powder
1 cup chopped yellow onions
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
one 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
one 8-ounce can salt free tomato sauce
one 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained, divided
1 cup broth or water (I use homemade vegan "chicken" broth, but you can use anything you have, even a bouillon cube in water, or just plain water, will work)
ground black pepper to taste
hot sauce or red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
1/2 teaspoon garam masala (you can skip this if you don't have it, I like it because it adds some extra depth to the curry seasoning but it's not necessary)

Lightly spray a large skillet or saucepan with cooking spray OR use enough water to keep everything from sticking. Add curry powder, onions, and garlic, and cook about 5 minutes.  

Add spinach, tomato sauce, and 1 cup of the chickpeas.  

In a blender, puree the remaining chickpeas with the broth. Add to the skillet. Stir and simmer until heated through, about 10-15 minutes. Stir in remaining seasonings, including garam masala.  

If you like spicier curry (like I do!), try adding cumin, turmeric, coriander, or even a little mustard.

signa

Back to top Go down

Post  signa Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:11 pm

Thursday, February 19

I lost 9.3 pounds this past week! I love this diet!! cat How is this even possible!  I'm so thrilled to have found Dr. Lewis' plan. I was getting discouraged on my eating plan, even as a whole foods vegan, I would gain  if I ate too many starches.  I don't want to mess up my cholesterol by stopping the vegan plan, but to be honest it was very frustrating not seeing the losses that many people on whole plant food vegan diets had.   pale  I still think it's the healthiest diet plan for me, but like Dr. Lewis wrote in his book, the fat on our bodies is really dangerous and I'd rather get rid of it  sooner rather than later.  My stomach is already much flatter than it was when I started 5BD and I'm determined to be a BMI of 18.5.   flower

B:  MV, o3, D3  (I ran out of B12 yesterday so I'll start taking it again as soon as I get some more)

L:  5 strawberries

D: 2 fingerling potatoes with curry sauce

60 minute walk (it's about 3 miles)

Fingerling potatoes are great for this diet! They are so adorable and tiny and cook quickly.   If you can get bulk fingerlings, look for different sizes, I use a large and a medium one for my 5 bites.  But most fingerling bags have different sizes in them. If you're pressed for time, just throw them in the microwave, they'll cook in about 6 minutes.  Because they are so small, they will quickly absorb any sauces or flavorings you use. You can simmer them in a broth or sauces and they will  suck up all the flavor very fast.  I like to simmer them in some fake chicken broth with a little tomato paste, onions, garlic, and smoked paprika. The tomato paste will thicken it up and it makes a lovely smoky sauce. I'll do that again as soon as I use up some of the curry sauce.   rabbit

Have a great 10-bite day!

signa

Back to top Go down

Post  JiffaCake Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:23 pm

Well done on the weight loss

JiffaCake

Back to top Go down

Post  mindful86 Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:39 am

Congrats on the weight loss and the discipline!

mindful86

Back to top Go down

Post  signa Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:15 pm

Thank you JiffaCake and mindful86 for your inspiration and support!  I love you I love you

B: MV, o3, D3 (oh man I forgot to buy B12 again! Must put on list! My mind is going.)

L:  5 strawberries

D:  Toasted English muffin half spread with refried beans

I forgot to tell you all that at my stores where I shop I never can find  any low-sodium or no-salt-added refried beans, so I make my own.
Just put some cooked or canned (rinsed and drained) no-salt-added pinto beans or black beans in the food processor with whatever spices you want (chili powder, cumin, jalapeno, garlic) and process until smooth. Also makes a great dip for veggies.

signa

Back to top Go down

Post  signa Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:27 pm

Saturday, February 21

B:  MV, o3, D3

L:  1/3 cup oatmeal with strawberries

D:  1/3 cup black bean chili

Swim 45 minutes

signa

Back to top Go down

Post  JiffaCake Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:32 pm

Yum yum, you are doing so well!! Good for you

JiffaCake

Back to top Go down

Post  signa Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:54 pm

Sunday February 22

B: MV, o3, D3, B12

L:  1/3 cup Caesar salad

D:  1/3 cup black bean chili with a little vegan cheese sprinkled on top alien

I love you

signa

Back to top Go down

Post  JiffaCake Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:47 am

You are doing amazing, how long has it been for you now? Your meals sound delish and really healthy. Well done

JiffaCake

Back to top Go down

Post  signa Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:26 pm

Thanks! I'm in my fourth week and have lost a little over 25# so far.  This plan is amazing! It works if you work it!! alien

I wish I could do the easier plan like Dr. Lewis and others suggest, like just Larabars or whatever, but since any candy bars and sports bars are processed foods, they'll raise my cholesterol.  pale  I can't even eat too much stuff like store-bought salad dressing even if it's vegan because oil raises my cholesterol. So I have to stick to whole foods for the most part. I use some processed stuff like vegan cheese but it's in small amounts.

I have about 13 pounds to go and after that I guess I'll start raising my bites very gradually to see if I still continue to lose or maintain. cat

I'm pretty sure if I ever go back to "normal" amounts of food, I'll have to limit starches and eat mostly fruits, veggies, and beans. Potatoes and grains are really my downfall in terms of weight maintenance. I could probably eat starches on days when I do very low bites like I'm doing now. That might be one way to have them.  But I stand by a whole foods plant-based vegan diet for the anti-inflammatory effects (low protein lowering IGF-1), to prevent cancer, and even to reverse heart disease (it certainly reversed my cholesterol levels!), but if you're not super physically active every day, I think the weight loss can still be tough.  pale I also have some challenges though, like my age (50s) and knee arthritis (from too many marathons in my 20s and 30s--can you believe that!).  So I'm limited to walking, swimming, and bike riding. I try to do something every day but I'm not the jock I used to be - it just doesn't interest me as much anymore.  Evil or Very Mad

B:  MV, o3, D3, B12

L:  chopped kale and Brussels sprouts salad sandwich on toasted English muffin half

D:  fake "baked" beans affraid  (1/3 cup pinto beans heated with a little apple cider vinegar and BBQ sauce)

The kale and Brussels sprouts came in a bag in the salad section and it was already chopped. I measured out 1/3 cup and chopped it even more finely, added a diced walnut and a small amount of diced red bell pepper + 1 teaspoon mustard,  about 2 teaspoons cauliflower mayo, and freshly ground pepper, and piled it on a toasted English muffin half.

signa

Back to top Go down

Post  JiffaCake Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:47 am

25# in a month is fantastic

JiffaCake

Back to top Go down

Post  signa Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:05 am

I don't understand why more people aren't doing this diet. I agree it's amazing and unheard-of to lose this much weight so quickly.   I love you

Everybody says it's unhealthy to lose it quickly but if that were the case, why aren't they banning bari surgery?Let's be honest, most of us are walking around carrying our "food" on our hips (and bums, arms, back, and chest!).  Twisted Evil  Dr. Lewis is right - why wait around, losing 1-2 pounds a week?!  It took me almost six months to lose the same amount of weight after starting a vegan diet, and I read the vegan forums almost daily and people there struggle. I think there's something about large amounts of carbs that throws off your appetite signals. (The diet is 80% CHO, 10% fat, 10% protein.)  People struggle with overeating even though they "feel" stuffed.  If you're constantly replenishing your carb/glucose stores and you're not working out like a madwoman, losing weight can be a nightmare.  

L:  pinto bean and shredded carrot taco  

D:  1/3 cup kale and Brussels sprouts salad with walnuts, red onion, and balsamic dressing

Oil-free balsamic salad:  Rub  a peeled garlic clove around the inside of your bowl. Add a small dollop of Dijon mustard and a splash of balsamic vinegar. You can add a pinch of sugar for sweetener here if you like.  Whisk the vinegar and mustard and put the greens in the bowl, stirring around and tossing until leaves are coated. This dressing is also delicious with a little orange juice added.  Top with diced onion and walnuts.

signa

Back to top Go down

Post  JiffaCake Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:19 am

Oh my gosh your recipes sound so yummy. I agree, my mom was very suspicious when I left food on my plate tonight at her house, yet she is on a diet and ate many times more the amount I did but she thinks it is immoral to leave food, not have breakfast and yet she is sick from overweight.
I didn't say anything about 5 bites because I would never hear the end of it but it!!!

JiffaCake

Back to top Go down

Post  signa Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:03 am

Right, this isn't a diet I'm telling people about. When I became a vegan I told my friends about that, but that's mainstream compared to this plan!

I throw food away on this plan. I don't really feel badly about it, I'm not going to solve world hunger living in a western country that uses way too many resources as it is. I wish I could do Snickers bars or Larabars, it would be so easy!  But after a week of Larabars I had to get cooking again. I don't really care that my meals are only five bites, it's the process of preparing and cooking food that I enjoy. But if you are only cooking for yourself, you just can't eat everything you make. Bags of lettuce and greens seem enormous to me now. A 14 ounce can of beans seems huge now and can still be too many servings on this plan before they go bad in the fridge. My mathematical skills are being challenged with bizarre equations at dialing down recipe adjustments for 1-2 portions, and even 1-2 portions ends up being a lot. Maybe I should get a dog to feed it leftovers. For the recipes I've used, I've had to cut the portion sizes and quantities and measurements by 75%!  I need a new set of measuring spoons, like "pinch," "double pinch," "two shakes," whatever. I barely use my teaspoon measure anymore because it's too large.

And I never thought it was a good idea to keep leftovers more than five days. And  you can't freeze  everything. Well, beans freeze well in very little space, so there's that. I've already  got about 5 Ziploc bags of cooked beans in the freezer, I can do more of that. You can portion cooked beans into Ziploc freezer bags, lay them flat in the freezer, and they barely use up space.

I've thought about getting some kind of vacuum sealing food system, like where you suck all the air out of the Mason jars to protect your food longer, which might be one way to go. Even after I reach my goal weight, I'm not going back to huge bottomless portions again, so I'll be eating small portions and limiting bites for a while, meaning I will still either be tossing food or freezing it or preserving it in some other way, like vacuum sealing.

Maybe it's time to use the salad bars in my neighborhood more. I live within walking distance of two markets that have fabulous salad bars, but I rarely used them in the past because at $8-9 a pound, I would easily walk away with a $10 salad. Now my salad would probably cost about 50 cents!  cat I've gotten good at eyeballing 1/3 cup of food, which is about 5 bites (tablespoons), I wonder if the grocery store checkout scale would even register 1/3 cup of food in those takeout containers. What a Face

signa

Back to top Go down

Post  JiffaCake Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:53 pm

You make some great points! Your salad would be very reasonable and fresh! I will get to cooking again soon I think more after I am at target and keep my meals small, I think it will be easier after my stomach is shrunk!!!

JiffaCake

Back to top Go down

Post  signa Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:34 pm

Thursday, February 26

Today is a weigh-in day and I lost 6.7 pounds this past week!  I can't believe it. Being strict really pays off.  Part of my success
is probably because I'm not coming anywhere near even 500 calories of food so the weight is just falling off me. That's due to eating whole plant foods, there's only so many calories in half a muffin with beans on it or 1/3 cup of salad or whatever. If I'm getting 300 calories a day I'd be surprised.  This diet is the next best thing to a total water fast but on this diet you do have more energy than with straight water fasting. I'm not going all out on exercise but I'm trying to swim 2-3 days a week and I walk  on all my errands since I live in a metro area with everything close by.  

I also think there is something to this eat twice a day thing and have long fasting stretches where you're not ingesting any food so you burn up your fat faster. If you read the FOK and other whole food plant based diet websites, they push "eat when hungry and don't worry about calories."  That's great in theory if you're not eating any added fats or animal products, but in reality it just doesn't work for many of us and the weight comes off so slowly.  I had trouble regulating my appetite with starches like rice and potatoes. Sometimes I felt like I could have eaten rice all day long and not gotten full.  

Yesterday my pants almost fell off on the metro! What a Face I was noticing the past week or so how baggy my pants were all over, they were just sagging on me everywhere, I could have easily put them on and taken them off without even unzipping or unfastening them. Rolling Eyes  I stood up from my seat on the train to get off at my stop and I felt like I couldn't even feel my pants against my back side, and they had slid way down and were just barely hanging on over the lower part of my hips.  That's not low-rise jeans, it's NO rise jeans. affraid

Today will be my first day eating at the salad bar. This is clearly going to be a money saver and food saver since I won't have to buy the (what seem like) enormous bags of greens or have  leftovers  go bad in the fridge. Their selections are terrific so I can just pick out five bites of whatever and bring it home and eat it and save $$ and not waste so much food. I love to cook and prepare food, but I'll make my own salad dressings, maybe that could satisfy some of the urge to cook my own stuff.  I found a great vegan recipe for a healthy Caesar dressing and I'll try that one out and if it turns out well, I'll post the link to it later.  Because what is life without Caesar salad!

L:  Salad bar

D:  Salad bar

I'll report back later on what I chose for my bites and how much it costs.  I'm curious to know what five bites of salad bar food costs. lol!

I also need new pants! I know Dr. Lewis in his book says don't buy anything new until you reach goal weight but I had to lose a total of close to 40# or maybe even slightly over that, so that's just not feasible. I waited as long as I could. I'm sure nobody wants to see me with my pants down! Embarassed

ETA:  I just got back from the salad bar where my salad cost $1.44 (at $8.99 a pound).  This isn't really a 1/3 cup situation, it's more like just picking out what five bites you want to eat since you can't really measure anything.  I got some spinach leaves, a piece of pineapple, a spoonful of edamame,  some red onions, and a large piece of cucumber. pig

If I feel like it, I'll go back and get more salad bar for dinner but I might just have oatmeal or a muffin half instead.

Last edited by signa on Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:04 pm; edited 2 times in total

signa

Back to top Go down

Post  JiffaCake Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:43 pm

Your salad sounds great and you are inspiring me, if I have a slow weight loss week again this week I might change things as your getting so few calories is clearly speeding things up amazingly for you. Well done and thank you for continuing to post and encourage me!!

JiffaCake

Back to top Go down

Post  signa Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:46 pm

Yes, I'm convinced the strictness is what is causing the weight loss.  That and the two meal a day thing. I lost 3 pounds less than last week, but that's probably my body plateauing or trying to catch up or whatever to the huge losses I had the first 2-3 weeks. The second week I think I lost 7, then the week before this past one I lost 9. So I'm sort of yo-yoing around in the numbers.  But even 6 pounds in a week is amazing, especially considering my age and my level of exercise/moving around. There's no question it's the ketosis and fat burning. I remember one water fast I did that was ten days and I lost about 20 pounds. Which I think is a pretty standard loss on a water fast, and you can't be nearly as active as you can just eating 10 bites a day. This diet isn't water fasting but I'm convinced it's the fastest way to lose if you're not willing to water fast. And water fasting is HARD.

If you're doing Snickers bars and higher fat foods and want to transition to whole plant foods or salads or whatever, you might want to experiment with alternating meals. A Snickers bar is probably about ?200 calories, 1/3 cup of beans is like 70 calories (and salad is way less than that even), yet they are both considered "five bites." Unless you add fat or oil to plant foods, you'll probably notice being hungrier, at least at first.   You're eating more fat than me and your body is accustomed to that and going without it can be hard enough without limiting portions on top of that.  You're also working out way more than I am, and I think that can slow things down. Drinking more water, having more muscle, holding onto body fat because your body just needs the energy or whatever, and you probably  need more than 5 bites!  I don't know the science behind it, but I remember when I used to run marathons and I would often gain weight.  Suspect I think the intense exercise caused me to eat  way more  food, and exercise doesn't burn as much as we think anyway.  

My experience is matching what other people have said about doing this diet. Granted there aren't that many "testimonials" around but the guy on YouTube who did the 60 days, Gregory Mantell from the interview, Dr. Lewis' testimonials about himself and his patients, and the woman at Count Bites Not Calories! (great website, BTW) all experienced these large losses. So it is possible. And I'm guessing I'm way older than everybody I mentioned, and it's working for me!  alien  The YouTube guy and his girlfriend apparently ate Snickers and other sports bars the entire 60 days, or most of it, and they lost crazy amounts.  affraid  So it doesn't seem to matter what people eat (which Dr. Lewis says anyway), and  adherence to the principles of the  diet is key.  

Keep us posted on what you are doing. Sometimes I miss the marathon training, the really active high impact stuff I used to do, but that's all behind me now.  Crying or Very sad  It's not going to happen anymore. I need to preserve what joint mass I have left!  silent

ETA:  I just want to shout out to any menopausal women out there reading this forum. THIS DIET WORKS. We all know the challenges associated with weight gain and menopause, especially the abdominal fat gain, which is so dangerous, as Dr. Lewis mentions. Thanks to my vegan diet, my cholesterol is below 140 and hopefully I'm reversing whatever arterial plaque I've accumulated over the years. Thanks to Dr. Lewis, I'm taking off abdominal and other body fat like crazy, something that was taking months at a very slow rate before I knew about this diet. So give it a try. White knuckle through the first three days, but get past the first three days and it will get easier.  I love you  cat

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US!!!   sunny

signa

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next