5 Bite Diet Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

insanity's 5 Bite Journey

+6
Lisa
teaismyhappyplace
twilight*17
Readyforchange
Dmac
insanity
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

insanity's 5 Bite Journey Empty insanity's 5 Bite Journey

Post  insanity Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:42 am

I'm a 39-yr-old female, about 5' 4.5" (164 cm), and started the 5 Bite Diet five days ago, on 1/21/11, at around 160 lbs. I was down to 158 on Monday. I'm sure I've lost since then, but haven't checked.

I'm following the 5 Bite Diet pretty closely, not exactly. I've been having coffee or tea with creamer in the morning, plus on my long run or intense workout days I will have a recovery drink (Endurox R4) to recover. I have Powerade Zero after daily runs or easy to moderate workouts, but that's zero calories anyway. I've had 6 bites for some dinners. Oh, and I've had a slimfast or protein shake on a couple of days at lunch, in addition to the 5 bites. I LOVE the 5 Bite Diet! It is so motivating to make such quick progress. It's also comforting to know that I won't have to be "dieting" forever. When I was following a traditional healthy diet, my progress was sooooo slooooooow. I would get discouraged about my slow weight loss then binge and screw up my progress.

I workout alot. I'm training for a half marathon in April. I'm not sure if I can continue to increase my running mileage on such a low calorie intake, but I'll see how it goes. I figure if I need to, I can add 5 bites for breakfast, and/or increase my bites at each meal.

Today's workout:
Dancing - 70 min (Capoeira program, hip hop program)
Yoga - 25 min
Stretch - 5 min

Today's diet:
1 3/4 large cup coffee with creamer (too much caffeine - I'll try to stick to 1 cup)
Lunch - 5 bites banana
Dinner - 2 bites salmon + 4 bites brown rice/veggies/margarine mixture

I did my workout right before dinner, and I was feeling a bit lightheaded a few times while exercising. I decided to have 6 bites for dinner instead of 5. Pretty sure I'm still burning fat anyway.
insanity
insanity

Back to top Go down

insanity's 5 Bite Journey Empty Re: insanity's 5 Bite Journey

Post  insanity Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Day 6:

Rocking the 5 Bite Diet! I checked my weight this morning: 156 lbs. hurray!

Workout:
Step Program - 45 min
Cooldown + stretching - 10 min
Probably will do a little more stretching tonight.

Diet:
Breakfast: 1 scoop Endurox R4 (recovery drink, 1 scoop = 135 calories) Felt like I needed it after the intense Stepping workout
2 large cups Coffee with creamer (so much for having just 1 cup)
Lunch: 1 bite walnuts, 4 large bites orange
Dinner: 2 bites salmon, 3 bites brown rice + veggies + margarine mixture (this is my planned dinner, I'll post an update if it changes)

I was pretty beat when I woke up this morning. It doesn't help that I got to sleep a little later than usual. I felt alot better after the coffee. For some reason, I have bags under my eyes today. Hopefully I can get to bed a little earlier tonight. I plan to run 5 miles in the morning, hopefully it works out.
insanity
insanity

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmac Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:15 pm

You are rocking the five bite congratulations on the loss your doing awesome I think the five bite is perfect for what u are doing the more wait u loose the ezer running is I've got a frind that's an amateur body bilder way lower on body fat then I am but he has so much muscle he can't keep up with my running or hiking and he dose a lot of cardio just so much muscle and all your endurance athletes are thin it may take time for your body to ajust but I think if u stick with it u will be thankful in the end that's my 2 cents keep it going your doing awesome Very Happy
Dmac
Dmac

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmac Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:28 pm

Did u Finnish the book?
Dmac
Dmac

Back to top Go down

Post  insanity Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:57 pm

I did finish the book. I loved it! It was so worth the $25 or so that I paid for it. Even though it's short, it took me 2 or 3 days to finish it. I took my time to try to absorb everything. I found it tremendously helpful and motivating. I think a large part of it is just having someone, particularly a doctor, tell me that it's OK to eat such a small amount of food and lose weight fast. I don't think I've ever heard that from an authority before. It also helped to know what to expect, especially in the first 3 days. I also love that he basically says it's ok to modify the diet if necessary to add more bites or whatever, and if you eat too much one day, it's OK, just get right back on the diet.

I love his idea that we don't have to lose weight slowly, we can just lose fast and get the weight loss over and done with. I have a huge appetite, and I've always felt so hungry when I reduce calories. Eating many small meals, or even large meals, during the day just makes me hungrier. Eating a healthy, reduced diet of many small meals is just torture for me. I become obsessed with food, and much of my time is spent thinking about the next time I can eat. And no matter how much I eat, eventually I want more and more. I can literally sit around and snack all day long until I am stuffed, and keep snacking. Which of course makes me gain weight, which makes me very unhappy. Sitting around, cutting calories and feeling hungry and waiting for the next time I can eat, also makes me very unhappy. Slow weight loss just prolongs the torture.

It seems like the 5 Bite plan has helped to break my obsession with food. When it's time to have my 5 bites, I have it and enjoy it, then I'm done. I don't obsess over food and my next mealtime like I used to. Knowing that I will stop after 5, or sometimes 6 bites is so empowering. It really is comforting to know that in the future, if I need to lose weight at any time, I can just jump back on the 5 Bite Diet until I lose it. If he hadn't told me that in the book, I may not have realized it.

I have to say, I don't agree with everything in the book. Such as how it doesn't matter what we eat as long as it's only 5 bites. I personally am continuing to eat mostly healthy foods. If I feel like I need it, I'll have a snickers for lunch or whatever, but for the most part I'm going to try to stick to healthy foods. There were a couple of points I didn't agree with, but that's cool. I'll just take what I need from the book.

I'm really proud of myself today. I attended a retirement party and did NOT have any of the cake with whipped cream icing (my favorite kind of cake!) that was served. I took a piece that I'll bring home to my husband. He can get away with eating that stuff and maintain his weight loss, lucky man!!! It was hard to resist the cake, but I'd already had my healthy lunch and didn't want to indulge today.

I definitely want to achieve that slim endurance athlete physique. I'm looking forward to improving my running performance by losing weight. I also want to complete a marathon in January 2012, and I need to lose at least 30 lbs, maybe more, in order to train for and complete that distance, injury-free.

So far so good today.

Day 7 Workout :
Run - 5 miles
Jillian Shred It, Level 2 - 30 min
Stretch - 5 min

Day 7 Diet:
1 lg cup coffee with creamer
Lunch: 2 bites Yogurt + Walnuts, 3 bites Orange
Dinner: 2 bites tuna steak with teriyaki sauce, 3 bites rice + veggies + margarine

Last edited by insanity on Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited to add pm workout and dinner)
insanity
insanity

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmac Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:53 am

That is spot on on the book I felt the same way I still read it every now and again that helps me stay focused is this your first half Marathon? Is your husband dieting if so what is he doing ?
Dmac
Dmac

Back to top Go down

Post  insanity Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:48 pm

This will be my 2nd half marathon. I ran my first half marathon last October. I hope to improve on my time, which was around 2 hrs 20 min, and I hope to be at least 10 lbs lighter than I was then. (I think I was around 165 to 167 lbs at that time)

My husband lost about 75 lbs by cutting back on portions and eating mostly a very limited diet of frozen veggies, yogurt, ww bread, and pasta. He ate very little meat during that time. For the last year or so, he's added in more lean meat and fish, and has sincen lost another 10 lbs or so by counting daily calories. If he has more calories on a give day, he'll cut back for a day or two. All through his weight loss, he had indulged with one or two of his favorite foods (beer, cake, wings, taco bell) once or twice a month. Now he can get away with indulging once or twice a week, sometimes even more often, and maintains his weight loss. He's still counting calories every day without fail.

I totally went off my 5 Bite plan over the weekend, and today isn't much better so far. I attended a birthday party Saturday, and had planned to limit to 10 total bites there. After I got there, it all went out the window and I really overdid it. Then Sunday I was really craving chocolate, so I went out and bought some. Ugh. Today I finished up what I bought and hopefully tomorrow I will seriously cut back or get back to my 5 Bite plan.
insanity
insanity

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmac Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:04 pm

Its Monday u back with it. Very Happy
Dmac
Dmac

Back to top Go down

Post  insanity Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:02 pm

Wow, thanks for checking in and for the accountability! I am strict 5 Bite starting NOW. I did cut way back today. I had a couple of bites for breakfast. Went out to eat with friends for lunch (not really my choice) and ordered a crepe with fresh strawberries and bananas. I finished it Crying or Very sad but it was on the small side and I left lunch hungry. Mercifully I have no appetite. I've come down with a cold or something. I had a cup of Lipton soup a few minutes ago. That may be it for dinner.
insanity
insanity

Back to top Go down

Post  Readyforchange Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:00 am

insanity,

First of all,I just have to say it. I love your name! It's awesome! Second, I am so happy that you are working through it and sticking with the diet. You can achieve your goals. Good luck on the marathon. I can not imagine running so far. I have a tremendous respect for anyone who has such dedication. Hang in there!

Take care,

Readyforchange

Readyforchange

Back to top Go down

Post  insanity Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:31 pm

Readyforchange, thanks for the compliment, and I love your name too! I'm happy that I'm finally motivated again. It took me a little time to get back to the diet, but I'm happy to be back. Thanks for wishing me luck in my race. I really need to lose weight to improve my running performance, and to give my knees, hips, etc., a break from carrying so much weight.

I don't think I have any food-related events coming up any time soon, thank god. I do much better when I stick to my usual daily routine. When I'm around alot of tasty, fattening food, I find it hard to keep control. I know that I must overcome this weakness. Hopefully next time I'll keep that iron control that will allow me to achieve my goals.
insanity
insanity

Back to top Go down

Post  insanity Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:42 pm

I started coming down with a cold last Friday, and today I'm still not feeling 100 percent. On the bright side, I feel much better.

Yesterday's food:
1 cup coffee with creamer
1 cup tea with creamer
1 scoop Endurox R4 (recovery drink after run, 1 scoop = 135 calories)
I had brought fruit, walnuts, and a can of Slimfast at work with me, but I didn't feel like eating it.

Dinner: 1 can Wolfgang Puck Chicken + egg noodle soup = 220 cals

Yesterday's workouts:
Lunchtime Run - 3 miles (.5 mile slow warmup, 2 miles fast, .5 miles cooldown)
pm Gilad Total Body Sculpt - 45 min, Strength + Cardio

As you can see, I'm not really doing strict 5 Bite, since I didn't count bites of soup, but I think this is fine.

The threshold run was pretty tiring. I've got training classes 4 days a week at work right now, and I was in danger of dozing off in the afternoon. Luckily we adjourned to our desks so I didn't fall asleep in class! The evening strength work was very tough. I did the workout before dinner and really didn't have much energy. Most Gilad workouts involve alot of lunges and leg work, and this one was no exception. I was able to complete most of the lunges and squats, but not all. I suspect that if I'd eaten more, I could have pushed harder. However, if I can mostly maintain my muscle, I'm happy.
insanity
insanity

Back to top Go down

Post  Readyforchange Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:14 pm

Insanity,

You are so active. I don't think that the extra bites or calories will make a big difference to your progress. Wow, I thought doing 30 minute workouts was doing well. You are amazing!

Take care,

Readyforchange

Readyforchange

Back to top Go down

Post  insanity Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:43 pm

Readyforchange, thanks for the compliment! I'm a bit obsessed with working out. If I was half as consistent with my diet as I am with my workouts, I would weigh a heck of alot less than I do.

Wow, I just had the worst sudden hunger/craving for something or anything. It's a good thing I threw away the other half of my lunch when I was done. I was actually thinking about pulling it out of the garbage can!!! I got up from my desk and walked around a bit, and now I'm drinking a bottle of water. I think I'm ok now. Whew. That was tough.
insanity
insanity

Back to top Go down

Post  insanity Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:00 pm

I'm going to say Wednesday, 2/9/11, was Day 1 of my 5 Bite Plan this time around. So yesterday was Day 2.

Day 2, Thursday, 2/10

Food:
Drinks: 1.5 cups coffee with creamer
1 cup tea with creamer
Lunch: 3 bites Yogurt + Walnuts
~1/2 Orange
Dinner: 2 bites baked Tilapia
3 bites Brown Rice + veggies + margarine + salt, pepper, & garlic powder (yummy!!!)

Workout:
Dancing - 1 hour
(not too strenuous, but moving around enough to sweat for the hour)

It was hard to stop at 3 bites of my rice dish for dinner. I considered having an extra bite, but I'm glad that I stopped at 3.

Day 3, so far, so good. Today at work, I saw someone who I hadn't seen in a couple of years, and the first thing he said was, Hey, you've lost alot of weight! It's very motivating to get a comment like that.
insanity
insanity

Back to top Go down

Post  twilight*17 Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:32 pm

Insanity, that is great motivation you got today! use it!! Stay strong!
twilight*17
twilight*17

Back to top Go down

Post  Readyforchange Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:25 pm

Hey Insanity,

How are you feeling? Is the cold better? I am also happy that someone noticed all of the hard work that you have been putting in. That is awesome!
Stay strong!!

Take care,

Readyforchange

Readyforchange

Back to top Go down

Post  insanity Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:05 pm

I am giving 5 Bite another try. After several days of failing to complete a good day, I FINALLY completed Day 1:

Breakfast: 2 cups tea with coffeemate

Lunch:
2 bites Chobani yogurt + walnuts
1 bite baby carrots
2 bites strawberries

Dinner:
2 bites chicken sausage
3 bites penne + spaghetti sauce + parmesan cheese

I completed my half marathon on April 3rd, so that is over and done with. My time was around 2 hrs 15 min, which was better than the 2:20 I ran for my first half marathon last October, hurray! On the down side, I overdid my training and developed shin splints in my left shin. I caved to pressure from my hubby and ran a 4 mile race last Saturday, ~1 week after my half marathin, which made my shin worse. So NO running for awhile. We're going to be moving out by the end of the month, so with my reduced activity and everything else going on, it's a perfect time for me to do 5 Bite again. I was down to around 153 lbs or so at one point, and I've gained back up to around 170. I MUST get lean and fit. I MUST kick the binging habit. I know 5 Bite will do it.
insanity
insanity

Back to top Go down

Post  teaismyhappyplace Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:31 pm

omg im right here with u about the binging. I dont know- i guess its cuz we restrict so hard when we are on the diet that we just go nuts when we stray just a little bit. But yes- i think binging is the biggest battle on this diet.

i have no idea if you are close to a shopping center or anything or what ur living conditions/work area is like, BUT i'm lucky that for a little while i live by myself and i live within walking distance to a bunch of stores. So for that reason- i decided that i wont keep any food in the house other than the off veggie snack in case i really need it. When i want to get a 5 bite snack i will walk to the target about 0.5mi away from me (forcing my lazy butt into action), and pick up an energy bar or whatever else is about 5 bites big and enjoy that on the walk back home. I think this will help me learn to control myself a little bit. After im confident that I can control myself and im down to my goal weight i will try my best to slowly increase the bites per meal. I think thats where we all mess up- we go instantly from eating near nothing, to as much as our stomach's can take = binge. I think we have to maintain our self control when getting off the diet and keep it as slow of a transition as possible.

wish you all the best of luck and let me know if anything works out for you
u can do it!
teaismyhappyplace
teaismyhappyplace

Back to top Go down

Post  Readyforchange Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:50 pm

I think that that is an excellent idea Teaismyhappyplace! Exercise has really helped me not to binge as often as I used to.

Insanity, I can not even imagine running a marathon. You go girl! If you can manage to run that far, it takes supreme motivation and committment. I know that you can apply that to this diet as well. You will overcome the binge (You too Teaismyhappyplace!). When it happens, don't beat yourself up. Pick yourself up and move on. You can do it!!

Take care,

Readyforchange

Readyforchange

Back to top Go down

Post  Lisa Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:36 am

Binge eating IS the biggest problem with this diet, if you are prone to it. And unfortunately it can undo all the hard work!

I wish I had some good advice on how not to binge. Tea's idea of not keeping food in the house is one way for sure. I personally like to keep in mind that it's long-term habits, not short-term, that make a difference. In other words, I try not to let a slip-up or two ruin the whole day. Easier said than done....

Good luck!

Lisa

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmac Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:13 am

Congratulations on the half Marathon insanity and welcome back. I'm with you ladies on the binge thing the only way for me is not to have even 1 extra bite when I do I usually end up having a binge its an all. Or nothing thing for me.
Dmac
Dmac

Back to top Go down

Post  insanity Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:26 pm

Weight today, Day 2: 168 lbs.

Thanks for the positive responses, all.

Teaismyhappy place - Unfortunately (but maybe it's fortunate that we are able to), my husband and I buy food in bulk. We keep very few healthy snacks around the house, basically no chips or chocolate or stuff like that, but when I'm in the mood to binge, it doesn't matter much to me what I binge on. I've binged on Nature's Valley granola bars, raw almonds, etc. I think I just have to keep the mindset that I WANT to lose weight. By eating less, I'm not depriving myself, I'm accomplishing my goals.

Readyforchange - Thanks for the compliment! I somehow have found the motivation and drive to workout consistently, and most people are amazed at my dedication. Up until now, I haven't reached that same level of motivation in keeping my diet goals. I hope that I have now reached that place.

Lisa - Thanks for checking in, and that is great advice. I'll keep my mind on the long-term and try to stay positive even when I slip up.

Dmac - Thanks for the congrats! I guess all-or-nothing is a common problem. I will try to stay strict. When I can, that works best for me.

So far so good, today.

Breakfast -
2 cups chai tea with coffeemate + splenda

Lunch -
2 bites Chobani Greek yogurt
3 bites apple

Dinner -
2 bites Broccoli + margarine
3 bites Brown Rice + Black Eyed Peas + Red Pepper + margarine mixture

(edited to add dinner info)

It was mentally easy to stop at 5 bites for lunch and dinner today. I've been hungrier today than I was yesterday, but that's to be expected. I'm happy that my stomach is shrinking. I'm tired of "trying to lose weight". I'm ready to lose it, and get it over with. I don't want to spend the rest of my life trying to lose weight. I want to live my life as a lean, fit person.

insanity
insanity

Back to top Go down

Post  insanity Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:50 am

Day 3

B - 1 cup Chai Tea with Splenda + Coffeemate

L - 2 bites Chobani Yogurt + Walnuts
- 2 bites Bosc Pear
- 1 bite Baby Carrots

S - 1 cup Chai Tea with Splenda + Coffeemate

D - 5 bites Chicken Florentine (chicken breast + spinach + shredded cheese, yummy!)

Today went well. I actually did not finish each cup of tea. I've been having a large cup of tea in the morning + cold water. Today I felt full before I finished my tea so I stopped drinking it and poured the rest out. I can't bring myself to give up the Coffemate, so when I feel like I can, I will just drink enough to satisfy me. I had the extra cup of tea when I was feeling tired and hungry in the afternoon. Again, I felt satisfied after drinking maybe 3/4, so I poured the rest out.

I'm feeling slimmer already. I have probably lost water weight, and I think my stomach is looking a little flatter. I'm really excited about losing weight. Tonight I was sorting through my clothes, and I have alot of smaller clothes that will look awesome on me when I lose some lbs. I can't wait for the day when I can pull just anything out of my closet and know that it will look great on me.
insanity
insanity

Back to top Go down

Post  teaismyhappyplace Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:13 am

great job today!! ur doing so well. Just stay focused!
i always find that I can do a "healthy" 5 bite day with veggies and fruit after i have an unhealthy 5 bite day with normal food. Its so important to try to keep health in mind because once ur off the diet u have to maintain ur new weight!

stay strong, u will be all over that wardrobe soon enough - and then u can just shelf away ur fat clothes for when u garden Wink
teaismyhappyplace
teaismyhappyplace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next