5 Bite Diet Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Desperately looking for inspiration and motivation

5 posters

Go down

Desperately looking for inspiration and motivation Empty Desperately looking for inspiration and motivation

Post  Kaci002 Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:31 pm

Hi everyone.

I attepted the 5BD a while ago but never got past 2 days as just felt ill, tired and dizzy, since then i've been on and off various types of diets, then deciding dieting isnt the answer and I just need to cut back on food which only lead to me getting heavier. I now feel im spiralling into diet madness and cant seem to get off the rollercoaster. I really need a program I can stick to, I need to lose about 3stone (42lb) until I am at a healithy and happy weight for me.
I understand when the book says to get on the diet and off as soon as possible but the other part of me cant get my head around it potentially being unhealithy, although I do feel it may be the way forward for me which is why I keep finding myself back here, my weight is effeting my life so I have to sort this for once and for all.
I guess Im just hoping someone may be able to give me some advice,tips or share their experiance which may help me get my head around it.
For the record I am a normal sane incontroll, sucessful female but when it comes to losing weight even though I probably know as much about calaroes, carbs as any qualified doctor, for some reason I cant seem to sort myself out - arrrrgggghhh

Congrats to you all who have done well on the diet - pleeeeeasse tell me how you did it

xxxxxx
K

Kaci002

Back to top Go down

Desperately looking for inspiration and motivation Empty Re: Desperately looking for inspiration and motivation

Post  16Again Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:38 pm

Hi Kaci, and welcome.

From reading your post, I have a couple questions:

though I probably know as much about calories, carbs as any qualified doctor

Have any of the diets you've tested been Low Carbohydrate? And if so, did you get that same (or a similar) "tired and dizzy" feeling? Many people seem to report that. Still, it's only an initial response of the body dipping into Ketosis for those diets AND for this one. The body is just letting you know you're Now running on reserve fuel (fat) rather than currently ingested calories. The Body is MAKING the Sugar it needs to run on in the liver with carbon molecules released from fat cells in the form of Ketones.

Once the body Knows you are fully aware of this transition, the tiredness and dizziness absolutely go away; the Doc assures us... in "about Three Days". Actually, Getting Past those first few days is the hardest part for many. If you could get to four days, you might discover that it's the LAST Difficult part and, from there on it's a breeze. You certainly won't feel tired of dizzy (unless you work-out like a maniac -- bounce ).

I understand when the book says to get on the diet and off as soon as possible but the other part of me cant get my head around it potentially being unhealthy,...

In the first chapter of Why Weight Around?, the Doc lists (pages 10 - 13) all those conditions and diseases that find their source in excess body fat. In the next chapter (page 19), and obviously referencing that List, he tells "Mary" (us) that, "... there is no limit to how fast you can safely lose weight. In fact, fat itself is so unhealthy that the faster you lose it the healthier it is for you."

The whole aspect of health seems answered in the later "questions" he answers in the book, but the foundation is laid early on when he clarifies that our Ten overall Bites for the day should contain at least ONE bite of "quality protein" and taking a complete Multi-Vitamin/Mineral tablet a day.

The Carbon we require for fuel is Already IN us. As I understand it, we don't need to ingest "food to burn" for today's energy requirements. Today is a great day to finally Burn the fuel we ingested years, months, and days ago. It's still there (in our fat cells) because we never got around to burning it.

The Doc uses the analogy of the "reserve fuel tank." I've re-imagined it for myself a bit differently.

What if we had One Tank? What if we thought that Everyday we had to put two gallons of gas (petrol) into the tank just to drive around? So we do that until the tank is Full. But today we only drive around enough to use-up One gallon. Still, tomorrow morning we went to fill up with two gallons. There's no Room for two gallons so our car starts enlarging the tank. If our "driving habits" don't change AND if our "filling habits" don't change, in 50 days our gas tank would be fifty gallons bigger.

My final question is then, What if we kept our "driving" as is, BUT we stopped FILLING-UP and for every day we Didn't FILL-UP, the tank shed some SIZE back down to normal... until we got down to, oh, let's say,fuel that fills an eighth of the Now Shrunken Back To Original Sized tank -- ? Back to the Doc's metaphor, There's nothing unhealthy or unsafe about using the fuel we already have in the tank. Besides, carrying Fifty extra gallons of petrol every day would be carrying roughly 303.65 EXTRA pounds (6.073 pounds per US Gallon) Or 364.5 EXTRA pounds in the UK (7.29 pounds per Imperial Gallon) everywhere you drove. The car's not designed for that weight. Neither are we.

Just burn your Carbon atoms by breathing -- (we all breathe a little more with a bit of Light Exercise, too). Maybe adding a "little" Premium fuel everyday so you're slowly changing over to ALL the fuel your body loves and craves... it's ALL just carbon, after all. In the end (Very Soon) you'll have a normal fuel consumption of ONLY what your body wants and, more to the point, NEEDS.

Hope this helps. Just writing it helps clarify all this for me as well. Sorry it's so Loooong.

Peace,

Marc

Last edited by 16Again on Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
16Again
16Again

Back to top Go down

Desperately looking for inspiration and motivation Empty There is a way to ease into it!

Post  cheeps Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:37 am

Hi Kaci,

my doc had been after me for months to start this diet. I hemmed and hawed but I did practise it in a modified way. For the past several months I would eat 5 bites for breakfast, 5-10 for lunch (both low carb) and would eat what and as much as I wanted for dinner. So my blood sugars were good, weight was slllowly creeping off.

When I signed up for a knee replacement, it made me realize....hey, now's the time. So it hasn't been hard to make the jump. I hardly feel hunger except first thing in the am. I'm technically on day 4 and haven't had any issues.

So if you cut down and stay cut down....then plan a switch to the whole idea. If you have to...go 5 bites three times a day. Good luck! sara

cheeps

Back to top Go down

Desperately looking for inspiration and motivation Empty Re: Desperately looking for inspiration and motivation

Post  Kaci002 Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:55 am

Hi Marc, Cheeps, thank you so much for your replies, both really helped.

Marc yes I have been on low carb diets and have felt the same, I think its as you say the body just adjusting, for now I haven cleared the next 5 days so I dont have to do anything strenious, whereas before when I started I had alot going on. Your fuel tank description makes alot of sense to me and I guess I have just been filling up all the time.

I've also always been an all or nothing person so when I last started if I didnt follow it perfectly then I thought id blown it but as Cheeps says it can be modified to suit me.

Started today with the plan to cut down on what i eat over the next few days, so starting with 10 bites for lunch and 10 for dinner and will gradually reduce from there.
I also each morning drink a veg smoothie which just contains 1 apple and lots of green veg like spinach, as I am lacking in iron and cant take supplements i dont really want to stop this but hopefully it will not affect it too much?

Thanks for your help
xx
K

Kaci002

Back to top Go down

Post  16Again Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:45 pm

Hi Kaci,

I'm glad the fuel theory helped some.

And, yes as cheeps points out, the diet is adjustable to suit our individual needs.

10 bites per meal is fine. That said, I'm going to ask just this one time (unless of course you'd like to discuss it further), what specifically prevents you from jumping in to 5 Bites per meal from the very start?

I mean 10 Bites each meal is probably "less" than what we all eat in normal meals, day-to-day. So yes that's less carbon IN, thus "weight-loss" will occur. No question about it. Only it will be slower.

The thing about the Doc's idea of the Hungerstat though, is that our stomachs and minds work together to help us Be Satisfied with the "Biggest Meals we've eaten in the last 3 Days." That's why we get those hunger symptoms for 3 DAYS. My concern is about the potential of your extending (and having to Put-Up with) these Hunger Signals over and over as your gradually reduce your Bites to the intended "5" if , indeed, that's your plan.

So my only suggestion would be this: If, in fact, you experience the Hunger Signals on 10 Bites today (we're talking here about the physical jitteriness and dizziness) just realize that those symptoms will NOT BE even one iota "stronger" than when you will be eating 5 bites. You actually feel yourself go from Hungry to "Fed" with as little as 5 Bites -- if only for the time being, until your Next Meal. If you feel them today, just TRY 5 Bites at lunch tomorrow and see if what I'm saying is or isn't true. I think you'll be surprised. Then slide on gracefully from there.

All this to say, Doing it the Doc's way, just gets you to your goal FASTER and shifting over to maintenance for a life-time of Slimness, that much quicker.

Now, about your smoothie (and supplements). Nothing wrong with that either. But it makes me ask the question, if you "can't take supplements," are you even able to take the Multi-Vitamin/Mineral tablet, that is very much a part of the diet? If it's "pills" that you can't take, I'm thinking you'll just have to be far more aware than the rest of us to be sure you're eating Very Vitamin-rich foods at every meal. Or, perhaps you can chew one of those New "Gummy Vitamins - For Adults" that have just hit the marketplace. I'm no nutritionist so I'm afraid you'll have to be your own road map, in that regard, (perhaps someone else on the Forum here is well-versed in that and will come to your aid. I hope so.).

I'm only re-iterating (paraphrasing) what you'll find in the book. But I hope you find it helpful (if not a tad too long-winded).

Peace and Amazing Success!!

Marc
16Again
16Again

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaci002 Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:23 am

Hi Marc - your responses are always so helpful and informative, not long winded at all, the more info I get the more I get to understand how it all works - thank you I really appreciate it.

I guess I was scared to directly jump to the 5 bites - but yes as you say did 10 for breakfast & dinner but was still hungry so didnt end up sticking with it after my evening meal and snacked on junk food as usual.
So will today go for it with 5 bites - I have however already eaten breakfast before logging in but from this moment on I will commit to the 5 bites only. I HAVE to start this today, cannot drag it out any longer so from 10.20am (UK time) I am 100% on the full 5 bite diet.
Re my veg shakes, I am slightly anemic but find iron tables make me ill, however I did see you can get easy digestion ones so will give them a go and i'll order a regular multivitimin. We have a nutritionist in our area that I can email and ask for recommendations, would rather stick to the plan as close as I can.

Can I ask your views re coffee - I know the book said if you cant have coffee without milk then have it with milk. I've cut my coffee intake down to just 1 or 2 cups a day, would a tiny drop of milk make much of a difference, or again am I deviating from the plan too much?

How are you getting on anyway?

Thanks again for your guidance

K

Kaci002

Back to top Go down

Desperately looking for inspiration and motivation Empty A (coffee) Toast to you!

Post  16Again Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:56 pm

Hi Kaci,

I'm doing great, and thanks for asking. This is my second foray (my first starting in Feb and going to Mid-March -- I lost thirty-two pounds, with seventy-some-odd to go). By the end, I was junk-fooding the evenings away (testing the upper limits of the diet), as well, so I know what you're talking about. Now it's "5 Bites" all the way, to the end.

One thing about that (snacking) which I've found helps me, is to take my evening meal as Late as I can make it, and go to bed within a half hour. I know some experts say "Don't go to sleep on a full stomach," but with this diet, is that Really Possible? Very Happy I wind-up eating a little later and going to sleep a little earlier, but I'm finding the "extra" sleep keeps me from feeling hungry in the AM. Who knew? (I get about 8 to 9.5 hours sleep a night, now).

Re: the iron and the rest of supplements, when I started, I tried to take my vitamin first thing in the AM with my coffee (I'll get to the "coffee question" in a moment). It was both rough on my stomach, and it kept "repeating" making it also hard on my esophagus. Just an idea (this works beautifully for me): Take it at Lunch, exactly before food. It will sit under the food and not bubble up.

Now, about milk in your coffee. Two things that I can think of, here. Me, being an old-hand at "Atkins," I used only heavy whipping cream in my coffee for years; not "milk."

When I first started this 5BD, I still went with cream in my morning coffee. It only added about a hundred and ten calories to my daily total (which was still under 550 with the cream, all told). So I don't think it detracts from the diet at all -- though the Doc does say otherwise, for speedy-loss.

But, here's what I ultimately did, because I LOVE my coffee. Since this Diet saves me so much Money on food (I'm now at about $15 per week for groceries -- where before I could spend $15 to $25 per DAY!), I decided to experiment with slightly more pricey coffees, looking for a "mild" one (not so Burnt-tasting) that was still flavorful which I could drink "black." I found one for which I'm really getting my money's worth. Now, the only reason I did this, is that when I re-read the book (for one of the umpteenth times) it made the full impression, finally, that we lose More and Faster, the longer we go without ingesting carbon-calories. With the cream, I was going from bed time 'til first arising (again 8 to 9+ hours) with no food. Now that I drink my coffee black, I'm going up to 14 or 15 hours (eating lunch around noon, or 17 to 18 hours when I eat as late as 2 or 3 p.m.) with no "food" in my stomach. Admittedly, by then, I've had about four pints(Shocked) of black (but tasty) coffee.

So ultimately I'd say don't worry about it, but always be on the look-out for tiny adjustments, if they're available. Like today, I'm actually "Fasting" or planning to, anyway.

Best of Will-Power to you (this isn't about "Luck"),

Peace,

Marc
16Again
16Again

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaci002 Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:22 am

Hi Marc

Wow your doing great, congrats on your loss!

Well I got through my first day day although admittidly it wasnt a typical first day as only decided to commit to the plan 100% after reading your post yesterday morning which was after breakfast (only 2 slices toast) but eitherway for my evening meal had prawn stir-fry - tried to eat as balanced and healithy as I can, I usually eat quite early in the evening but will try and leave it an hour or so later as its always the evening which are harder like you say.
Actually feel ok this morning not as hungry as I would have expected but tomorrow will prob be the harder day as its a complete full 5 bites day for me today. Thanks for the coffee tip - love the idea of putting cream in my coffee - I would put cream on everything if I could love the stuff so would have to be carful I dont overdo it. Had my 1 coffee of the day just now and will move to Green Tea after but will look around for a nicer coffee to try black, perhaps a proper coffee.

I really do appreciate you taking the time to explain it all to be as it was just whant I needed to get me started and gave me the push I needed.
So great to hear how well you and everyone else is doing.

Thanks
K

Kaci002

Back to top Go down

Post  bumbershoot Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:36 pm

Black coffee isn't the nicest thing, but I find this helpful because it then takes away any cravings. Black coffee and diet soda are my savior in this diet! When I'm feeling low, I listen to my favourite music or go for a walk. I find this motivates me and makes things easier. Razz

bumbershoot

Back to top Go down

Post  jgraston Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:53 pm

bumbershoot wrote:Black coffee isn't the nicest thing, but I find this helpful because it then takes away any cravings. Black coffee and diet soda are my savior in this diet! When I'm feeling low, I listen to my favourite music or go for a walk. I find this motivates me and makes things easier. Razz

So far Ice Water and Gum, and chewing Ice are my saviours. Good ideas!
jgraston
jgraston

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down