5 Bite Diet Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Journal - Wit, Fat Loss and Calorie-Free Beverages

+2
spryng
jgraston
6 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

My Journal - Wit, Fat Loss and Calorie-Free Beverages Empty My Journal - Wit, Fat Loss and Calorie-Free Beverages

Post  jgraston Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:00 pm

I've posted an introduction here .

This journal will follow a fairly basic setup.

The Plan wrote:
B:
L:
D:
H20:
Side Effects:
Weight:

The posts will be made on a day lag to ensure everything posted is accurate and complete, and not just hopeful ramblings of a fat guy.

After Week 1 I will be slowly adding in exercise while monitoring side effects and blood sugar levels.

For the first 3 days I will be doing a Snickers for lunch and a Snickers Dark. While I do not believe I need to do this in order to 'Learn Portion Size', I feel that following the plan is the best way to test out the program.

I will also be filming blogs occasionally, which I will also post here.

My goal weight is 300 pounds by Christmas. That is a loss of 87.5 pounds in 109 days. This is a rate of 5.62 pounds per week, which should be quite doable on the Five Bite Diet.

I look forward to posting tomorrow how my first day went. :-)

Josh
jgraston
jgraston

Back to top Go down

My Journal - Wit, Fat Loss and Calorie-Free Beverages Empty Re: My Journal - Wit, Fat Loss and Calorie-Free Beverages

Post  spryng Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:27 pm

Welcome Josh!

Your plan sounds perfect and I'm excited to follow your journey. I've been on this plan 37 days now and I'm loving how I feel and my weightloss so far. I lose really slow because of my poor worn out metabolism but this diet has been a breeze so far and the other side effects I'm getting like really nice skin and my hair and nails growing at rapid speeds along with sleeping better and more energy during the day I wouldn't trade for the world! Good luck! Smile
spryng
spryng

Back to top Go down

My Journal - Wit, Fat Loss and Calorie-Free Beverages Empty Re: My Journal - Wit, Fat Loss and Calorie-Free Beverages

Post  jgraston Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:50 pm

I've decided to go ahead and post some 'Before Photos'.

I will probably post pictures either once per month or at each major weight loss milestone. I'll take reader feedback as to which they prefer.

I've decided not to do pictures of the scale each week at weigh-in, mainly out of the fact that my scale has a 2 second timer before the weight disappears.

Also, are there any things you'd like to see in the journal?

Without further adeau, photo time.

My Journal - Wit, Fat Loss and Calorie-Free Beverages 09060111
My Journal - Wit, Fat Loss and Calorie-Free Beverages 09060112
My Journal - Wit, Fat Loss and Calorie-Free Beverages 09060113
My Journal - Wit, Fat Loss and Calorie-Free Beverages 09060114

**NOTICE: Reproduction of any images contained within this journal is expressly prohibited without express written permission.**[img][/img]
jgraston
jgraston

Back to top Go down

Post  SaltyDog Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:07 am

Welcome Josh!!!!

SaltyDog

Back to top Go down

Post  jgraston Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:28 am

Tuesday, September 6 2011

Day One:
B: Water
L: Snickers (5 bites)
D: Peanut Snickers (5 bites)
H20: 80 ounces
NCB: 48 ounces
Side Effects: Slight nausea, Slight headache
Weight: 387.5

I decided to go ahead and post these at the end of the day after all meals have been taken in. Well, bites, not meals. NCB = Non Calorie Beverages, or in most cases with me a Diet Soda. As I progress into the diet I'll be upping the water/NCB ratio.

And thanks all for the warm welcome. It should be a fun ride, I tend to do things a tad more, umm, scientific than most.
jgraston
jgraston

Back to top Go down

Post  shnookie Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:21 am

Welcome Josh, it should be a fun ride indeed Very Happy
shnookie
shnookie

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmac Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:29 am

Did u notice the normal Snickers is bigger than the peanut butter or dark or almond probably not enough to matter just a heads up
Dmac
Dmac

Back to top Go down

Post  jgraston Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:49 am

It is 12:41am, and I am still awake. I've gone through several periods of insomnia in the past few years, but tonight I blame solely on hunger.

On a scale of 1-10, I would say that at the current time my hunger is a 9.5. I was fine until I realized that even when I wake up I won't be eating for a few hours. I hate both coffee and tea, but I think that may change.

shnookie wrote:Welcome Josh, it should be a fun ride indeed Very Happy

Speaking of rides, my tummy does kind of feel roller-coaster-ish!

Dmac wrote:Did u notice the normal Snickers is bigger than the peanut butter or dark or almond probably not enough to matter just a heads up

I did notice that. I won't be doing too many Snickers after the initial few days; after that I'll be preparing all my own mini-meals (or my girlfriend will). I will sometimes do a fast food option for my meal, but I will still limit myself to 5 bites.

I will follow the plan on a "bite" scale until I see a steady plateau, at which point I will likely migrate to a weight mode (i.e. 56g/2oz lunch and dinner).

Ok, I put Big (Yes, from 1988) in the DVD player. Goodnight 5B-Gang.
jgraston
jgraston

Back to top Go down

Post  spryng Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:04 pm

I hope you were able to get past that hunger last night and this morning isn't too hard. The first 3-4 days are the hardest so hang in there, once your stomach shrinks everything will get much much easier.
spryng
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post  jgraston Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:25 pm

This will be a bit rambly, as my brain is too.
- Woke up a few times to go pee overnight.
- Normally a BIG morning poop'er, not today.
- Really hungry, not eating until 11:30.

Weight this morning was 379.2. That is a loss of 8.3 pound loss since yesterday morning. I feel as if I am still holding about 8-10 pounds of excess water weight. I will follow up later in the standard format, but I wanted to share.

I hope you were able to get past that hunger last night and this morning isn't too hard. The first 3-4 days are the hardest so hang in there, once your stomach shrinks everything will get much much easier.

Spryng, I did get past the hunger last night. I ended up drinking about 32 ounces of water right before bed.

An interesting fact though, your stomach never actually shrinks without some sort of bariatric surgery. What we refer to as our 'stomach shrinking' is actually our hunger levels. Now, if your stomach was stretched due to binge eating, you can get it to tighten to what I'd call 'Adult Size'. Just remember you are never going to have the same sized stomach as someone who went through surgery, just greater willpower.

Another, BIG, post later, that delves into some of the science.

Thanks for reading and sharing in this journey,
Josh
jgraston
jgraston

Back to top Go down

Post  spryng Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:26 pm

that is very interesting! yeah I was a huge binge eater on the weekends. I'm so much better now, even the few times I've taken a meal off etc I didn't go crazy so it's major progress for me so it's nice to know that maybe now I have a regular adult sized stomach Smile
spryng
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post  jgraston Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:55 pm

Ended up staying home from work today, Girlfriend is sick and to be honest, I'm feeling pretty weak. For most people the first day in the hardest, for me it is the second. Woke up extremely achy and sore, weak and slightly dizzy/nauseated.

About an hour and a half until meal time. Drinking first 32 ounces of water now, only 12 ounces NCB so far.

Urine has been clear since middle of the night.
jgraston
jgraston

Back to top Go down

Post  jgraston Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:22 pm

I normally won't be updating THIS much during the day, but since everyone says that the first three days are the worst I have decided to document them more thoroughly.

Shakes - No real shakes, I have been making sure to keep a fairly steady flow of caffeine (no calorie oriented of course) which always seems to help with the shakes. I dread the day I decide to cut caffeine out of my life.

Nauseous - Had some issues when I drove to the store real quick to get some more Snickers. The one downfall of this diet is I have a feeling I am going to have to keep watch on my Snickers supply with two kids and a girlfriend running around.

Headaches - Fairly steady to be honest, nothing pounding or blinding, but def. a slow throb.

Hunger - This tends to only be an issue about halfway between meals. Since the stomach is usually empty after about 4 hours of fasting, this indicates to me that as gastric emptying occurs that it triggers the hunger response. This has been combated with a large intake of water. I custom formulated a supplement a while back to help with hunger and nutrient partitioning/absorption. I won't touch too much on supplementation on this forum as I feel that it is something most people overuse and misunderstand.

Food - At 11:30am I had my Snickers (5 bites). I experimented with chewing 25 times, swallowing, taking a drink of water and waiting at least a minute before taking that second bite. It seemed to help me not only feel more full, but also helped me to enjoy the meal.

Water - I've already taken in almost 70 ounces of water, so I will slow down a tad for the rest of the day. I blame my love for munching on ice.

I hope you all are enjoying the journal so far. :-)

Tomorrow I will be discussing a few concerns on this diet, including the thermic effect of feeding and meal timing.

Thanks for reading!
Josh
jgraston
jgraston

Back to top Go down

Post  spryng Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:22 pm

When you met dr lewis, did he talk about this diet??

Sounds like day 2 is going great for you! don't hesitate to take tylenol or something for that headache, no need being in pain if you can avoid it, LOL I had to take something the first couple of days and I haven't had one since.
spryng
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post  jgraston Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:56 pm

spryng wrote:When you met dr lewis, did he talk about this diet??

Sounds like day 2 is going great for you! don't hesitate to take tylenol or something for that headache, no need being in pain if you can avoid it, LOL I had to take something the first couple of days and I haven't had one since.

The setup of the show made it to where I only saw him at the initial weighins, lol. However, I wrote down his name and started to research his diet once I got home. It actually goes hand in hand with one of my favorite dietary theorists opinions on maintainable caloric deficits, but I'll get into all that sciency stuff on my journal.
jgraston
jgraston

Back to top Go down

Post  spryng Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:07 pm

cool I'll be looking forward to it! I love the science behind our bodies and dieting Smile
spryng
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post  jgraston Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:20 am

D: Snickers Dark (4 bites), Chicken Nugget (1 bite, not whole nugget)
H20: 96 ounces
NCD: 48 ounces
Side Effects: Medium Hunger, Light Dizzy, Minimal Shakes, Mild Nauseous
Starting Weight: 387.5
Current Weight: 379.2
Overall Loss: 8.3 pounds

Today was another spot on day. I substituted one bite of my Snickers Dark (which is smaller than a Standard Snickers) with one bite of a McDonald's Chicken Nugget.

I'll start posting the research probably Friday, my brain isn't quite as sharp as I'd like. I wonder why. affraid
jgraston
jgraston

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmac Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:26 am

8.3 in one day sweet congratulations
Dmac
Dmac

Back to top Go down

Post  jgraston Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:11 am

Dmac wrote:8.3 in one day sweet congratulations

Thanks man, I tend to drop the first 20 or so pretty quick. I'll be impressed if I can keep up an over 1lb/day average.
jgraston
jgraston

Back to top Go down

Post  spryng Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:54 am

Your day and meals looked great! I hope day 3 is good to you. For me day 4 and 14 were the toughest for some reason. at day 14 is was just a mental game at that point. I was no longer really hungry etc but my mind was screaming eat! and cravings like crazy...so even though our bodies can adapt quite nicely we still have to battle our thoughts, I believe we'll always be doing that so I just need to learn to get better at it Smile
spryng
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post  jgraston Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:16 pm

Just a quick tidbit this morning.

Updates -
Starting Weight: 387.5
Current Weight: 374.2
Overall Loss: 13.3 pounds

I kind of figured I'd drop 4-6 the second day, which means (based solely on my gut) I should drop another 3-ish pounds today as well. Upon waking, Hunger was just a dull ache of hunger, so I had a piece of Sugar Free Gum. Muscle weakness and aching appears to be on the downward, as well as dizziness. I won't really know about nauseous until I get in the car here in a bit.

I'm going back to work today, I deliver checks to my employees on Thursdays. This means I will be in the car all morning driving past at least 100+ fast food places. Will I be tempted? NOPE.

Let's just do some, what I call, Motivational Math.
Christmas Plan wrote:
Josh's Starting Weight: 387.5
Josh's Goal By Christmas: 300
Weight to Lose: 87.5
Days Until Christmas: 106
Weeks Until Christmas: 15 (Not rounding weeks)
Loss Needed Per Week: 5.83 pounds per week

Now, this may seem somewhat daunting, but really, around 20-25ish should be dropped in the first week. Leaving me looking at more of a 60 pounds in 14 weeks (which is only a 4.28 average).

Now, lets assume I could maintain a 5.83 pounds per week ratio not only until Christmas, but also my wedding day.

Wedding Plan wrote:
Days Until Wedding: 190
Weeks Until Wedding: 27 (Not rounding weeks)
Estimated Wedding Weight: 230.09 pounds

Now, this is all just 7am ramblings, but I think it points out something that almost ALL of us struggle with. Consistency.

I will write more later, I have a lot of things to discuss today. I hope you are all enjoying reading this journal, it is as much for you as it is for me.

spryng wrote:Your day and meals looked great! I hope day 3 is good to you. For me day 4 and 14 were the toughest for some reason. at day 14 is was just a mental game at that point. I was no longer really hungry etc but my mind was screaming eat! and cravings like crazy...so even though our bodies can adapt quite nicely we still have to battle our thoughts, I believe we'll always be doing that so I just need to learn to get better at it Smile

The mind if a powerful thing, when it is working like an adult mind we can accomplish anything. However, when it is working more like a kid's (I want, I want, I want), sometimes it feels like we may never succeed.
jgraston
jgraston

Back to top Go down

Post  jgraston Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:43 pm

Just a quick update from the Middle of Day 3.

No longer Nauseous.
No longer Shaky.
Limited Muscle Aches
Some slight dizzy (was driving a lot for work)

D: TBD
H20: 70 ounces (need to actually slow down or take in some electrolytes)
NCB: 12 ounces

I think I am on the downside of the initial hunger phase. 1:30 and 4:30 seem to be times in which I get really hungry, and I'm wondering if there is a correlation there.

If I have time later I plan on discussing Hunger and Gastric Emptying. I'm not sure how much these are discussed in the book so EVERYONE feel free to jump in.
jgraston
jgraston

Back to top Go down

Post  jgraston Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:34 pm

Before I decided to look into the five bite diet, a wonderful scientific study had me wondering aloud how to make the MOST of dieting in terms of weight loss. We have all seen exercise-centric shows like the Biggest Loser where people drop lots of weight, but only by eating 1200-1500 calories per day and working out 6-8 hours.

Once I read the Alpert study, my view on weight loss in general changed. I use to be very exercise-centric. But, answer me this, why work harder if you can work smarter? The data from the Alpert study, combined with data from the Minnesota Starvation-Recovery Experiment and the Starvation Study, shows that the MAXIMAL rate at which fat stores (i.e. your body's own fat) can provide energy is 290 +- 25 kj/kg. Breaking this down into an easy mathematical formula, 31 kcal/lb of fat per day.

Let me break it down OLD school.

My Starting Weight: 387.5
My Fat Weight: 186
My Possible Deficit: 5766
My Starting BMR: 3181.75
My Activity Modifier: 1.55
My Adjusted BMR: 4931.71

Wait, does that look wonky to you? According to the SCIENCE.. Check this out.

1 - My fat mass in my body supports a daily deficit of 5766 calories.
2 - My Basal Metabolic Rate (with modifier using the Harris Benedict Equation) is 4931 calories.
3 - Based on this math, my body could sustain fat loss with ZERO calories taken in.

Now, all of this is great, but realistically we don't want to put things to the max, so what can we do?

Well, lets now look at what WE are doing.

- 5 bites of food at Lunch and Dinner.

Let's assume just for easy of calculations that I stick with the Snickers for lunch and dinner. Using 260 calories per Snickers. That is a 520 calorie intake for the day.

With a 520 calorie intake, I'd be looking at a deficit of 30881 per week (or 8.82 pounds per week).

Now, this does not account for metabolic slowdown at all. However, I've yet to find a study that pinpoints when the slowdown begins. At most I'd postulate that you'd experience MAYBE a 20% slowdown IF you stayed on the five bite diet long enough. However, even then you'd be looking over 5 pounds per week.

Now, remember though, this is all without adding in any exercise. While I do not know the level of exercise I'll be able to do, I do know that I will be adding some, which just serves to increase the pace of weight loss. And since we have room left in the deficit we are safe to do some exercise.

I would caution ONE THING when using science such as this to start to really key things in. Make sure that your combined dietary and exercise induced deficits do not total more than your maximum sustainable caloric deficit.

Now, since I've rambled all about the science and how it applies to me, here is a little cheat sheet on how it can apply to you.

1 - BMR Formula:
Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

OR, you can just google a BMR Calculator. I recommend using the Harris Benedict Equation if you do not know your approximate bodyfat, or the Katch-McArdle if you do.

2 - Deficit Formula:
31 kcal/lb of FAT

References:
1. Alpert SS. A limit on the energy transfer rate from the human fat store in hypophagia. J Theor Biol. 2005 Mar 7;233(1):1-13.
2. Keys, A.; Brozek, J.; Henschel, A.; Mickelsen, O.; Taylor, H. L. (1950). The Biology of Human Starvation (2 volumes). St. Paul, MN
3. Tucker, Todd (2006). The Great Starvation Experiment: Ancel Keys and the Men Who Starved for Science. New York
4. McDonald, Lyle (2006). Determining the Maximum Dietary Deficit for Fat Loss

Next time my brain is unfogged enough, we'll look at meal timing and its effect on things. As well as some tidbits about hydration and electrolyte levels.

If you read all this, and have questions, ask away. :-)
jgraston
jgraston

Back to top Go down

Post  spryng Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:31 pm

that is so fascinating! I love the science behind anything. I wonder though when science doesn't meet results? Like for me, I'll need to find out my bmr etc but I was on the MRC diet last year and per them they guarenteed I'd lose 3+ lbs each week (it was about 500 calories a day of low carb only) the first week I lost 4 lbs then it drastically went down.. I was on it for a month and I'd have like 1 lb one week, 1/2 lb the next week and I was following it perfectly! They couldn't understand it, I couldn't understand it and it ended up frustrating me so much that I quit but I was already out over 1000 bucks for the plan, meetings and supplements... sigh.. my body never follows science. Also I tend to lose inches faster than lbs.. I would love to know why that is too. Not that I'm complaining, a loss either way is good. But how can your waist get smaller and not your number on the scale?? ok and here is a silly off the wall question, I bought some of that vitamin water, well it has 6 carbs per serving (2.5 servings per bottle) but no calories? how can you have carbs but no calories?? seems fishy to me so I didn't drink it. LOL ok didn't mean to get off the subject but I'm really looking forward to the hunger and gastric emptying science you talked about Smile And is that theory we've been told about if you are having hunger pangs it's really your body eating it's own fat stores? or is that something dr oz made up to make oprah feel better about being hungry, LOL
spryng
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post  jgraston Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:37 pm

spryng wrote:that is so fascinating! I love the science behind anything. I wonder though when science doesn't meet results? Like for me, I'll need to find out my bmr etc but I was on the MRC diet last year and per them they guarenteed I'd lose 3+ lbs each week (it was about 500 calories a day of low carb only) the first week I lost 4 lbs then it drastically went down.. I was on it for a month and I'd have like 1 lb one week, 1/2 lb the next week and I was following it perfectly! They couldn't understand it, I couldn't understand it and it ended up frustrating me so much that I quit but I was already out over 1000 bucks for the plan, meetings and supplements... sigh.. my body never follows science. Also I tend to lose inches faster than lbs.. I would love to know why that is too. Not that I'm complaining, a loss either way is good. But how can your waist get smaller and not your number on the scale?? ok and here is a silly off the wall question, I bought some of that vitamin water, well it has 6 carbs per serving (2.5 servings per bottle) but no calories? how can you have carbs but no calories?? seems fishy to me so I didn't drink it. LOL ok didn't mean to get off the subject but I'm really looking forward to the hunger and gastric emptying science you talked about Smile And is that theory we've been told about if you are having hunger pangs it's really your body eating it's own fat stores? or is that something dr oz made up to make oprah feel better about being hungry, LOL

The problem is this. The science is right, but some of the methods are a bit arbitrary. Since most of the formulas used by diet and supplement companies are based on a standard age/height/weight/gender formula. However, there are MANY different types of bodytypes, and each has an adjustment to be made.

I believe that if a person takes the time to figure out their TRUE maintenance calories, the science works. The only REAL way to do that is to track what you eat each and every day for a month or two. Find the caloric range (or to go a step further the caloric AND macronutrient ranges) that allow you to maintain your weight within 5 or so pounds. This doesn't SEEM hard, but think about how much trouble people have maintaining losses. The fact is that our lack of consistency as a fat society is our biggest downfall.

We'll touch on the Hunger/Gastric Emptying later, that is a much BIGGER post and a bit more complex (with diagrams, yay!). However, I have to say you just made me chuckle. Because of that, I'll answer the Hunger Pangs part. Hunger pangs can be caused by a few things, but the most common is that after a certain period of time (different for different individuals (and diets!)) of not drinking or eating the stomach begins to contract. These contractions in the stomach are what most people associate as hunger pains. Diabetics also run into this issue when their glucose levels drop.

Alternatively, many gastrointestinal issues present at first as stomach discomfort. I have a friend who has a gluten intolerance, and that is how he found out. He was getting "hunger pangs" right after he ate anything with gluten.

Oh my gosh, I can't wait to get into the real science of what hunger is and how (and what) it is affected by. You guys are going to love, or hate me.

jgraston
jgraston

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next