5 Bite Diet Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Charles' Journal

4 posters

Go down

Charles' Journal Empty Charles' Journal

Post  charles Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:45 pm

Hello All,

I'm starting this diet today and I'm going to try and keep this daily journal as way of maintaining some accountability. I was originally going to start this back in October, but got side-lined with other obligations and forgot about it entirely. I received the book recently and I'm re-committing myself to it.

I weighed in last night at 342 pounds. Which is not good at all, of course. But hey, I'm like 1/3rd of the weight of the heaviest people in the world. So it's all relative.

My goal is to stick to the 5-bite-diet as strictly as possible for the next 12 weeks. And to try and lose an average of 10 pounds per week. Is this possible? I can't say for certain, but I feel like it should be with a good amount of exercise thrown in. Regardless, that's the "goal." If I achieve that goal, then at the end of June, I would be about 220 pounds. Which, for a 6-foot male is just out of the "obese" category and into the "overweight" category. At that point I'll re-evaluate and see what my next goal will be.

I'll be checking in daily and weighing in close to weekly.

Expected difficulties:
1. I live in NYC, one of the best food cities in the world. It will be hard to pass up on so much great food.
2. I like tinkering with things. So it will be a bit of a challenge to just stick to the diet and let it work.

On the plus side:
1. I'm single, no kids. I don't have to worry about preparing meals for others. Or not having time for exercise.
2. I have pretty strong willpower.

So let's get started.

charles
charles

Back to top Go down

Charles' Journal Empty Re: Charles' Journal

Post  Dmac Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:35 pm

I look forward to following your progress
Dmac
Dmac

Back to top Go down

Post  Snow White Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:06 am

Glad you're here...some advice: enjoy your food and only choose the most delicious bites for your 5, if you're not exercising now I would wait until you are close to your goal weight to start. In the book we learn that you diet to lose weight and exercise to improve muscle tone and heart health.

That's great that you don't have the pressure of preparing meals for others. Be sure to post what you eat here in your journal daily to help you be accountable. I even post when I overeat. This diet really works and helps you to learn self control with food. We all love it! Good luck and I look forward to following your progress. Please let us know if you have any questions or can help you in any way. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Snow White
Snow White

Back to top Go down

Post  charles Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:13 pm

Well, I suffered a bit of a set-back before my first day was even over. I was at the doctor's office for the first time in 10 years and was put on an antibiotic that I was told to eat "with a meal."

"Is 5 bites a meal?" I asked.

"No, a regular sized meal. Otherwise it won't absorb properly."

So it looks like I will be sliding into 5-bites gracefully over the course of this next week, as opposed to slamming into it immediately like I had planned. Oh well. I still intend to lose weight this next week as I will be eating decidedly less than I used to. Just not down to 5-bites immediately.
charles
charles

Back to top Go down

Post  charles Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:39 pm

Oh, and thanks for the welcome D-Mac and Snow White.

Snow White, while I agree with the doctor that a lot of people will over-estimate the effects of their workouts and then consume more calories because they think they've "earned" it, thus negating their workout, that's not my intention. Whether I exercise or not, I'm still going to be sticking to 5-bites, so for that reason exercise can only speed up my weight loss. Just expelling more carbon, like the doctor says.

charles
charles

Back to top Go down

Post  Snow White Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:31 am

You can burn about 100 calories running a mile, so if you run 35 miles a week you can lose 1 extra pound. That is seriously not worth it to me and that's why I am waiting until I am very close to my goal before I go all in on the exercise. Good luck and I look forward to seeing your progress! Very Happy
Snow White
Snow White

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesabelle Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:39 pm

Hi Charles! Welcome!!!

This diet helped me lose 37 lbs in approx 4 months. I loved that I was able to eat what I wanted and still lose weight. I excercised while on this diet and found that when I was good about excercising I would always show a lose, but when I slacked off the excersise I was more likely to sit at the same weight. I am more of a treadmill-elliptical excerciser and found that I just felt better after excercising. Also, I think excercising helps you stay on the 5 bite instead of falling off the diet and starting over. It's all about willpower and when you are strengthening your body you are also strengthening your mind Very Happy. One more thing-when I went to see my dr. and he listened to my heart he could tell that I had been excercising-I had only been working out for 6 weeks, but he could hear it in my heart! That is when I knew that excercising was the right thing. I know that losing weight is the #1 goal, but if walking, climbing (low impact excercise) is making your heart healthy then I figure it's win/win no matter how you look at it!!!! Good luck on your journey!!!!!
Jesabelle
Jesabelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Snow White Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:15 pm

Everyone has to do what works for them...and for me cardio makes me hungrier and I don't need anything making me any hungrier than I am! No doubt cardio improves heart health and that is wonderful, but I've just got to get rid of this fat first and focus on controlling my food intake. Listen to your body and see what is best for you...everyone seems to have a unique experience with this diet but all in all if you stick with it you will lose all the weight you want to lose exercise or no exercise! Very Happy
Snow White
Snow White

Back to top Go down

Post  charles Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:09 pm

Finally have been able to start the diet as of yesterday. I'm down a little over 4 pounds since my first week's weigh-in. But I wasn't doing 5BD last week, just getting a little more exercise in, but now it starts for real.

As far as exercising goes, SW, you're right, it's a personal decision. For me it makes me less likely to backtrack on my diet, but for others it might be just the opposite. It may be true that walking a mile is only going to burn 100 calories, but if I go on a 3 mile walk every day (which I'll happily do) while I'm on the diet for the next 12 weeks, then that adds up to 7 more pounds lost when all is said and done. Plus, for every mile I walk at the beginning of my diet, I'll lose 50% more calories than I would for that same mile walked when I'm near my goal, so for me it's worth it to start earlier.

My only issue is that sometimes I think "bites" is a hard way to measure food. (5 bites of potato chips would be like 2 potato chips, which is nowhere near the volume or calorie count of a snickers bar). So for me I'm modifying the diet so I can eat 5 bite of something OR 200 calories of something at a meal. Whichever seems more satisfying.

charles
charles

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down