5 Bite Diet Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Out of Curiousity

+5
3jaysmom
diet74
Phil
Jenny P.
vicky
9 posters

Go down

What do you think of Sushi? (descirbe what it tastes like)

Out of Curiousity I_vote_lcap61%Out of Curiousity I_vote_rcap 61% 
[ 20 ]
Out of Curiousity I_vote_lcap12%Out of Curiousity I_vote_rcap 12% 
[ 4 ]
Out of Curiousity I_vote_lcap6%Out of Curiousity I_vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
Out of Curiousity I_vote_lcap6%Out of Curiousity I_vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
Out of Curiousity I_vote_lcap15%Out of Curiousity I_vote_rcap 15% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 33

Out of Curiousity Empty Out of Curiousity

Post  vicky Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:41 pm

I had noticed that everyone in the 5 Bite Forum had used pounds as their measurement so I was just wondering if this was an American thing?
Are there other Australians who are on this diet ^_^

Btw, this new forum looks pretty neat. Can't wait for it to come alive !

Last edited by Phil on Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding a proper poll so that everyone can just click it :P so that Jenny can get her answer quicker!!! :D)

vicky

Back to top Go down

Out of Curiousity Empty I'm not sure.

Post  Jenny P. Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:53 am

I don't know where everyone is from, but the doctor who started it is American. Maybe this diet hasn't really spread much to other countries. There isn't any reason why you can't be the one to bring it to Australia though.
Jenny P.
Jenny P.

Back to top Go down

Out of Curiousity Empty Re: Out of Curiousity

Post  Phil Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:10 am

Vicky! I'm from Australia too!! Very Happy I thought I was the only one lol... I use pounds just to conform and make it easier for people lol
Phil
Phil
Admin

https://5bitediet.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Out of Curiousity Empty Oh wow

Post  Jenny P. Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:38 am

Now I feel left out...I'm not from Australia. Smile
Jenny P.
Jenny P.

Back to top Go down

Post  diet74 Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:55 am

How about French who used to live in the US and now lives in the UK....I went from kilos to pounds now to stones!!! hahahahaha
Actually I will never get used to the UK stones!!!!! just weird. Mad
I stick to pounds!

It's actually brilliant that we are all from different places! Lots of variety! Smile
diet74
diet74

Back to top Go down

Out of Curiousity Empty Diversity=good!

Post  Phil Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:40 pm

I agree with u Diet74 diversty is good Very Happy maybe we could share different recipies(sp?) ? That way the diet doesn't have to be limited and can be diverse... Btw I feel like curry! Not sure why I just feel like it lol Very Happy ideas hehe?
Phil
Phil
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  3jaysmom Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:40 am

Its so funny, I guess I assumed everyone I was "talking" to was American on the old forum, because they all said "pounds", how stereotypically self-centered American of me, lol Very Happy .

I guess thats why you couldn't find the Lean Pockets, Phil!! Trust me, you're not missing out on much, they taste kind of like cardboard with melted cheese inside, lol. I just eat them because they're quick, cheap, and "portable" when I'm running around through my day. It feels more like a "meal" than a snickers. I usually chose sushi if I have time to sit down.

I can't wait to hear some of the things people in different countries are trying, I don't even know what the typical cuisine is in Australia. My family has the typical western steak and potatoes type meals, and Mexican food because my husband is Mexican.

OK, who's next? We have several more continents to cover... Very Happy

3jaysmom

Back to top Go down

Out of Curiousity Empty Really Raw Fish?

Post  Jenny P. Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:37 am

Okay so this is not the first mention of sushi, but I was thinking "really? really?" Could it possibly that popular? Other than continent, I don't know where all of you are from but I don't think there is any sushi any where near where I live, and maybe I shouldn't diss it without trying it, but it sounds....mmm.....really gross. I mean isn't it raw fish with cold rice wrapped in weed from the sea? To me it sounds like it would be slimy, salty, and very fishy. I mean don't get me wrong I don't mind a Salmon Filet from a restraunt but this sounds totally different.

So I guess I am starting an informal Poll.

Who has tried Sushi?
Who enjoys it?
And what tastes good about it?

I'm trying to be open minded here, but I need more to go on.
Jenny P.
Jenny P.

Back to top Go down

Out of Curiousity Empty Proper Poll

Post  Phil Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:07 pm

OK so i have added a proper poll to the site for you Jenny P so that you can see the results as people vote Smile

I personally voted for trying sushi and loving it!

Jenny P there are HEAPS literally HEAPS of fillings for sushi! and seaweed dosn't taste like fish or ocean or anything that you thought! i was the same before i tried it!

basically i usually get sushi with cooked prawn in it, or chicken and avocado, or cooked tuna or vegetarian(egg, sun dried tomato and avocado)

The choice is endless! its like a kebab or sandwich really lol you can put anything you want into it!

You should definitely try it!!!... as for the typical Australian cuisine... i don't think we have one lol

Some people are open minded and will try heaps of different dishes and others will simply stick to meat and veg EVERY NIGHT!! i don't know how they do that personally lol as there is a whole other world out there.... but then again maybe by me 'broadening my horizons' i've also broadened my waist line Sad like today i had loads of Russian meat as a friend of mine brought and prepared it especially for me! of course i couldn't say no! these people are fantastic and i didn't want to be rude Very Happy but i have to admit the gesture was very nice... but it made me feel sooooo guilty... *sigh* ill get it right eventually... this week needs to get better soon! (even though its Saturday!)
Phil
Phil
Admin

Back to top Go down

Out of Curiousity Empty sushi is YUMMY

Post  3jaysmom Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:59 am

Jenny-
Where are you from? I live in NH and there are places all over NH and MA (where I work) The supermarkets have a section where the guys make it for you fresh and put in in a to-go container, this is in Hannaford's and some Shaw's (I don't know if you have those) They also have some pre-made at Trader Joe's (I'm pretty sure those are national)The premade ones are made with precooked fish, or just veggies.

The thing about sushi that I think is so good is that its a perfect blend of cold, hot (wasabi) salty (soy sauce) creamy (avacado) and sometimes crunchy(sometimes they put sesame seeds on it, some dont) The ones that are just raw fish on rice dont taste fishy, even. Its hard to explain.

If you are feeling like you want to try it, I would suggest California Rolls. They are not slimy, smelly (if its at all smelly, its bad, don't eat it!), or fishy, when I have them, I can mostly taste the avacado. Pour some soy sauce on it, put a LITTLE BIT of wasabi (it is crazy hot!!! a little goes a long way), and I like to put a little sliver of the pickled ginger on top. It's supposed to be a "palate cleanser" but I like it on it.

Its perfect for the 5BD, because it is in bite size potions already, very healthy, has all food groups in each bite, and I like the "ritual" of preparing each bite with the soy sauce, wasabi, etc, its such a stark contrast to my usual shoving a special k bar or lean pocket in my mouth, it feels like a treat. So, that's the deal with the sushi-love, at least from me Very Happy

3jaysmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny P. Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:07 pm

Ha Ha Well I'm not anywhere near a coast so that might have something to do with it, plus there is very little diversity here, I live in the land of steak and potatoes and little else. The two sides of the country are a little like different countries. I have never seen Sushi in the store, nor do we have Hannafords, Shaws or TraderJo's actually I haven't even heard of them. We have a Super Walmart and an Albertson's for grocery stores. But I think that if I want to try it I will have to go to the University town not too far away, they have alot more to choose from. Next time I go up that way to see my sister I will have to try Sushi.
Jenny P.
Jenny P.

Back to top Go down

Post  rachee08 Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:24 am

yeahhh...I was all for sushi and the little ornge cheesey drizzle on top until we left and my "friends" threw out there, oh, btw it wasn't cheese... it was eel sauce!!! eeeekkk! That ended my sushi escapades. haha. But I did try some cooked sushi and I liked it alright. I am a chinese food addict so I was pretty open to trying it. Smile
rachee08
rachee08

Back to top Go down

Out of Curiousity Empty I love sushi, its my fav meal

Post  Shawn Wed May 05, 2010 11:23 am

It was great to read all the posts above.

I live in the UK too Diet74, in London.

I used to liveand work in NH (Portsmouth) and have worked in MA too
3jaysmom, in Boston.

Sushi is great but if you are landlocked it will probably be expensive.
I have taken many sushi newbies to a sushi bar and I order them
tempura, cucumber rolls and some chicken or beef skewers.

It takes a while to work your way up to the raw fish but it tastes clean and
not fishy at all.

Cheers,

Shawn

Shawn

Back to top Go down

Post  Jenny P. Fri May 14, 2010 7:27 pm

I just wanted everyone to know that I am trying Sushi for the first time tomorrow. I'll let you know what I think.
Jenny P.
Jenny P.

Back to top Go down

Post  kitty Fri May 14, 2010 9:19 pm

hey jenny,

did you like it? What kind did you eat? I loooove sushi and I would say it is my favorite food. Unfortunately I haven't found a decent sushi place or japanese restaurant around here (i moved about 6 months ago). I wish I could get some proper asian food - I probably wouldn't have gained about 30 or 40 lbs in the last half year *sigh...stupid cookies*.

As for the "where do you come from"-part: Right now I am in the sushi-unfriendly UK (supermarket sushi ...blech !!), but originally I'm german (and im gonna go back soon for a couple of months) - apparently my taste-buds don't care about my origins... i can't stand traditional german stuff (think: Bratwurst and Sauerkraut).

kitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Maernet Sun May 27, 2012 4:26 pm

Love sushi,and I'm an Aussie!.. glad to see other Aussies here too.
Maernet
Maernet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum