5 Bite Diet Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Captain's Log: Stardate, 5 Bite

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Captain's Log:  Stardate, 5 Bite Empty Captain's Log: Stardate, 5 Bite

Post  16Again Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:14 pm

Okay, I’d like to debunk some of the more debunkable criticisms of this diet, while praising some of the more praiseworthy aspects of it.

I’ll admit upfront to not having read the book, yet. I’m still waiting (over a week(!) for Amazon to get it to my doorstep). I’m sure there’s a lot of science inside to back up the Doctor’s directions, and a lot of my ramblings, here, might already be covered, but the four lines of instruction – Skip breakfast… eat five bites of any food you want at lunch & dinner… drink a bunch of water and zero calorie drinks all day… take a complete multi-vitamin once a day – appear so vastly simple I imagined even “I” could Believe and Follow this without a ton of scientific prescription.

To start off, I did a minimal amount of self-testing to discover what a “bite” might mean to me. Many of the criticisms in blogs and comments around the web seem to be jokes about “taking Enormous Bites” (with regular follow-ups of the Heimlich Maneuver). Not being a nibbler by nature, I experimented with what I consider my “normal Mouthful” to arrive at what is, for me, a “bite.” I bought a one-pound package of bologna, opened it and set it on my trusty digital food scale. Yup, one pound. I then took a bite out of the side like it was a sandwich and dropped the remaining chunk back on the scale… 14.9 ounces left (so 1.1 ounce in that bite). After five bites I had 11.1 ounces left, so truly My Bite, without choking, is One Ounce at a time. I admit to having a Big Mouth so this may not be right for everyone, but I realized it would sure make it simple for me to “count calories” should the need arise. Each Bite took a lot of chewing and averaged about Six Partial Swallows each. By the end of it, I could have eaten more but didn’t want to. The upshot? A total of 450 calories in one meal (the package says 90 calories an ounce).

My first failure? I went to my favorite Mexican fast food place for dinner at 5:00pm and ordered my usual burrito. Their website lists its nutritional content and the expected calories. This entire burrito lists as 830 calories. Five Bites later, I had half of the burrito left – I wasn’t exactly sure of this until I ate the leftovers (at 8:00 pm – hence, failure – or “third set of 5 Bites” for the day) Still… Five Bites! – and, again my hunger was Gone!

More naysayers I’ve found on the Web say this diet will force people to become “anorexic” or “bulimic.” Hogwash. Heavy people tend to enjoy food (or the thought of it, anyway) more than folks who regurgitate their meals or those who refuse to take any meals in the first place. What I’ve discovered is that I have become hyper aware of the quality and expected flavor of my food choices. I demand that I will enjoy every bite so I THINK about it more than before. In fact, my brain tumbles through choices and makes “choosing” the greater chore. Once I make my choice, I realize I would be cheating myself to gulp it down, so I eat slowly and reverently -- as other diets suggest – but on this it comes naturally.

I’m actually discovering the “feeling” my body has been trying to get me to notice for, like, Forever. That feeling would be called “Complete Satisfaction With Just Enough.” The feeling has always been there. I’ve simply been to “other-wise occupied” to notice.

So, no, I don’t eat Snickers twice a day as the YouTube video suggests (the Doctor, himself, it seems), but I did once try a “King Size” Snickers (5 Bites was 440 calories) before committing to the Diet. I will get Protein and Fat and Carbs every day. I will be eating five ounces of Rib Eye Steak regularly (I’m comfortable with my carnivore ancestry). That will make the One Pound Steaks I used to eat in a single sitting last for three meals. I’m happy, too, that my food dollars are going to stretch like a yoga routine.

Were I to have gastric bypass (or the Lap-Band) surgery, I don’t think I’d enjoy myself “half-as-much” by eating only half of what I do now. But eating less than half of what I used to eat IS satisfying and joyous. Every “meal” is akin to eating (portion-wise) at fancy French restaurants. Where are the folks screaming at the skinny French?

Peace, Marc
16Again
16Again

Back to top Go down

Captain's Log:  Stardate, 5 Bite Empty Re: Captain's Log: Stardate, 5 Bite

Post  Readyforchange Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:00 pm

I agree with you about the bites filling you up. I am learning to just close my ears to those that don't understand. I'll let my results speak for themselves.

Out of curiosity, are you a big Star Trek fan? Because I know that I am! I have even gone on cruises and met cast members!
I am such a scifi nerd!!

Take care,

Readyforchange

Readyforchange

Back to top Go down

Post  16Again Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:04 pm

Hi Ready
Yeah I'm a Star Trek fan (truly only the First Series) but it's so cool that you got to meet members of the cast.

My other Sci-Fi tastes run to the Philip K. Dick stuff.

[I know I'm showing both my age and my limited sense of adventure in taking on new myths by writing this. But the heart knows what it likes.)

Peace, Marc
16Again
16Again

Back to top Go down

Post  16Again Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:19 pm

Alright then,

Super Bowl Sunday. I was alone (by Choice, as I'm not into televised sports, much -- AND I spend the gtreater part of my television watching trying to dismiss commercials).

Alone but not lonely (or so I thought, I guess). I grazed without much thought. Couldn't go back in my head now and count the bites. I felt bad -- Afterwards -- not during. and only on reflection did I even think I might be letting some folks down (that'd be you all who've commited to the Challenge with me).

So I apologize and I'm standing right back up.

This morning, I've had a cup of coffee and my MultiVitamin.

Tomorrow is my first weigh-in since my starting line (Last Tuesday). I almost Hope I don't lose too much, so I don't get the wrong idea and think I can get away with cheating at all. I really Want tot follow this right down the line.

Peace, Marc
16Again
16Again

Back to top Go down

Post  Readyforchange Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:48 pm

16Again,

Don't apologize. We all have our days when things just don't go as we planned. (You know I've had mine!) If you fall, just do what you said: "stand right back up" and greet the new day. I am proud of you for your honesty and your courage to not give up. I for one do hope that you lose a lot of weight on your weigh in. You have been working hard and deserve that gift.

Just remember that if you do fall, (and we all do) your challenge buddies are here to catch you and make your landing a little easier. I have faith in you. You have given me the courage to stay on target and be true to myself. I hope that I can do the same for you.

Take care,

Readyforchange

Readyforchange

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmac Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:57 pm

Well said ready just get up and u will get it dun 16 we got ya
Dmac
Dmac

Back to top Go down

Post  16Again Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:41 am

Readyforchange and Dmac,

Thanks so much for your kind encouragement. I surely refuse to ignore my "falls" (or hide them) but your words are like lights on my path. I can see where I'm going with them and I'm less afraid of the dark.

Peace, Marc
16Again
16Again

Back to top Go down

Post  16Again Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:59 pm

Stoked!!

Alright. all kidding aside about hoping not to lose too much (to keep myself in line) -- two posts above --...

Last week? Starting weight: 235 Lbs.

This Morning? 226 Lbs.

Nine Pounds.

I'm humbled.

Peace, Marc
16Again
16Again

Back to top Go down

Post  Readyforchange Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:15 pm

16Again You Rock!!!!

I am so proud of you!. You deserve it! Keep going strong and stay focused. You inspire us all. Your goal is just over the hill and around the corner. I can see it! I know that you can too.

Take care,

Readyforchange

Readyforchange

Back to top Go down

Post  16Again Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:19 pm

Thanks Readyforchange.

I just read your post about the upcoming wedding in your journal, and I have some ideas for getting through it. Sorry, it'll take longer than the time I have (getting to work, now).

But his afternoon I'll catch up with you.

Peace, Marc

Last edited by 16Again on Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
16Again
16Again

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmac Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:41 pm

Congratulations on the 9 lb that's sweet did your book get there yet?
Dmac
Dmac

Back to top Go down

Post  16Again Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:18 pm

Hey Dmac,

Thanks.

Yes, I got the book yesterday and read it last night. What an eye-opener! As in... I'm WAY over-consuming.

Like, compare my eating the King Size Snickers (in Post #1 of this thread) for me, it was an EASY 5 Bites.

In the book the Doc is very specific about it being the Regular Size (with exactly HALF the calories) to get a good idea of how Big a Bite should be. -- Well I could eat ONE of these in 2 or 3 Bites.

AND... Ididn't really want to talk about How UN-Hungry I've been compared to what I've seen/read on the Forum. Didn't want people thinking I was having it Too Easy.

I'll just say that I REALLY like the FEEL of good food in my mouth -- the whole process of eating -- so For This Reason, I'm planning for the next three days to Eat my normal size Bites -- But Only THREE per meal -- I'll know it's 5 Bites for the Plan But consuming it ibn away that makes me happy and it'll cut my calories by 2/5ths.

This isn't because I'm dissatisfied with my first week. Heck NO!!! But if I come More into compliance with the Doc's directions, I may ZOOM to the finish line with more speed and Uuumph!!

Don't worry folks. I'm Still a 5 biter like you all. It's just that, it's been said (and I have to agree), I've got a Big Mouth.

Next I'm going to look at the Doc's recommendation of "Throwing the REST of each meal Away, Immediately." [!!??!]

Peace, Marc
16Again
16Again

Back to top Go down

Post  Readyforchange Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:01 pm

Wow, you were eating the big size? That means if you switch it up, you will lose a ton!

All I have to say is..."Scotty. Ahead full warp speed towards weight loss!"

Take care,

Readyforchange

Readyforchange

Back to top Go down

Post  insanity Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:00 pm

I have the opposite situation as you: It takes me about 6 to 8 bites to eat a normal-sized Snickers! I normally take very small bites, and even small sips of water or other drinks. So I've been taking ~5 "large" bites of healthy food for myself. It's interesting how different we all are.
insanity
insanity

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmac Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:55 pm

16 u still with us I'm wondering how the 3 bigger bites are going?
Dmac
Dmac

Back to top Go down

Post  Readyforchange Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:22 pm

Hey 16Again,

How are things going? Let us know if you need anything. We are here for you!

Take care,

Readyforchange

Readyforchange

Back to top Go down

Post  16Again Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:32 am

Hey Dmac and Readyforchange and everyone. Thanks for your concerns and kind words.

I just wrote a long post and got THIS for my troubles: "No post mode specified" And my Post disappeared!! Anyone have any Idea what That Is?!!?

Anyway, Long Story Short: I screwed-Up yesterday. Back On track perfectly today but I'm not expecting much change from last week to this, all on account of One Very B-A-D Sunday Afternoon and Evening.

"Learning Day" for sure.

Peace, Marc
16Again
16Again

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmac Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:42 am

Yesterday was bad for me to I don't know about the post thing
Dmac
Dmac

Back to top Go down

Post  Readyforchange Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:02 pm

16Again,

I am glad that you are not letting your learning day knock you off course. Hang in there and you will reap the benefits.

Take care,

Readyforchange

Readyforchange

Back to top Go down

Post  16Again Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:56 pm

Thanks Ready and Dmac.

Everyone on this site is awesome.

Sorry, I've been absent. I've taken on two new projects and it's kind of limited my ability to even get AT a computer. But I'm doing well and wishing you all the very best.

BE invincible!!

Peace, Marc
16Again
16Again

Back to top Go down

Captain's Log:  Stardate, 5 Bite Empty Keep going!

Post  renu712000 Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:30 am

16Again wrote:Thanks Ready and Dmac.

Everyone on this site is awesome.

Sorry, I've been absent. I've taken on two new projects and it's kind of limited my ability to even get AT a computer. But I'm doing well and wishing you all the very best.

BE invincible!!

Peace, Marc

Keep going!

renu712000

Back to top Go down

Post  16Again Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:29 pm

I'm finding (RE-)reading the book to be So Important!!

Though I'd logically sussed-out the Doc's meaning and inspiration from watching the YouTube Vid, the depth of his insights and illustrations in the quick-reading little book are Invaluable for keeping me on course. The obvious benefit from keeping our Bites SMALL (and uniformly sized) is explained so well (and, by me at least) so much better understood on the THIRD Read-Through.

Yes I lost weight (9 Lbs.) on 5 (BIG)) Bites that First Week. And I wound up Not Hungry -- but I admit that I was scared that 5 (SMALL) Bites would just leave me ravenous. Re-Reading the book brought me to face my fear and to Trust The Change in the HUNGERSTAT, he describes.

So, if Starting with 5 Big Bites was what it took to get me Believing in the usefulness of portion control for diminishing and eradicating HUNGER Completely (though eating Way Less than HALF of what I was, even the Day before), I now know that it's Only a Tiny Jump to eat what's probably Half the Portion I've been eating since being on the Diet.

I encourage everyone to Read and Re-Read this Slim Book once a week (or like the Doc recommends, a portion of it for ten minutes a day, every day). I feel So Empowered. I deeply wish the same for all of you.

Run so as to Win!

Peace, Marc
16Again
16Again

Back to top Go down

Captain's Log:  Stardate, 5 Bite Empty Yes...always Re-read the book...

Post  renu712000 Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:13 am

16Again wrote:I'm finding (RE-)reading the book to be So Important!!

Though I'd logically sussed-out the Doc's meaning and inspiration from watching the YouTube Vid, the depth of his insights and illustrations in the quick-reading little book are Invaluable for keeping me on course. The obvious benefit from keeping our Bites SMALL (and uniformly sized) is explained so well (and, by me at least) so much better understood on the THIRD Read-Through.

Yes I lost weight (9 Lbs.) on 5 (BIG)) Bites that First Week. And I wound up Not Hungry -- but I admit that I was scared that 5 (SMALL) Bites would just leave me ravenous. Re-Reading the book brought me to face my fear and to Trust The Change in the HUNGERSTAT, he describes.

So, if Starting with 5 Big Bites was what it took to get me Believing in the usefulness of portion control for diminishing and eradicating HUNGER Completely (though eating Way Less than HALF of what I was, even the Day before), I now know that it's Only a Tiny Jump to eat what's probably Half the Portion I've been eating since being on the Diet.

I encourage everyone to Read and Re-Read this Slim Book once a week (or like the Doc recommends, a portion of it for ten minutes a day, every day). I feel So Empowered. I deeply wish the same for all of you.

Run so as to Win!

Peace, Marc

EXACTLY!! That's what I've been trying to emphasize with everyone. Read the book and re-read the book when anyone has questions. The answers are there.

I am happy that you made it a learning point and learning day to re-read the book.

I've been insisting to everyone their fears and questions can be answered in the book...what I have been seeing "I'm worried about having no energy" "I'm worried about my metabolism slowing down" "I feel cravings and such"....

And you've done what I have done...re-read the book. understand the message and answers he gives! AWESOME!!

It's ok to be scared, afraid, skeptical and such BUT everyone should find those answers to why we have those feelings and rationalizations.

Keep going and RESET as my friend and leader of another group tells us...

"RESET....from THIS MOMENT....YOU are going to move forward...and REMEMBER the success you had the first week..You are going to remember the emotions and feelings of success you had during the first and continue that success MOVING FORWARD..YOU are doing this...You can do this..."

Keep going and RESET

renu712000

Back to top Go down

Captain's Log:  Stardate, 5 Bite Empty I Think I Finally Found MY WAY

Post  16Again Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:13 am

So, I've had my Ups and Downs/ Ons and Offs. Y'Know, it's really hard to come here with my failings every other day or so, so I've just been silent. Weighed myself this Morning (222.4 lbs) after waking up Friday at 218 lbs.

Gee, could it have something to do with GORGING on Friday night -- then comfortably Fasting all day Saturday and Gorging again Saturday night?

Well, I spent the whole of Today (Sunday) "Soul Searching" and ReSearching. I've discovered some areas I was being negligent in and I truly believe that these discoveries will compel me on to the "finish-line."

For the Soul-Searching Part I spent the morning doing Self-Muscle-Testing (Applied Kineseology) to find out exactly what Weight, what BMI, what Body-Fat % I should be striving for. Going on the Doc's recommendation that we make food ultimately boring, I SMT'd for what One Food I could tolerate for the next few months, for lunch and dinner (using what I've experimented with these last Four weeks as candidates)

SHEESH has it really been almost FOUR WEEKS to lose only 13 POUNDS!?!! -- well, 17 and then gain back four. Where's my Pride?

So I also SMT'd how much exercise I should be doing and what types. A part of me was Very Worried about the Extra Skin flaps (They're called "aprons"... Yuck!)

I was also getting dizzy and having sudden muscle-lapses in my left leg while walking. I did some research and found that even with the standard MultiVitamin the Doc suggests, I've probably been losing too much Potassium and Calcium. So I SMT'd at the Vitamin Shoppe and got some extra Help there. I also Bought a MEGA-type MultiVitamin.

So I'm gonna lay it all out, here (from Self-Muscle-Testing Answers):
  • -- My Goal Weight is 138 lbs. [I'm currently 222.5]
    -- My Goal BMI is 19.5 [I'm currently 31.5] (This truly less important to me than the Body Fat %, if I should gain a lot of muscle -- and, yeah I know the Doc warns against this as an excuse, but, the calculations for my BMI at 138 lbs IS 7%, and I see no reason not to strive for that.
    -- My Goal Body Fat % is 7% [I'm currently 33%]
    -- My One Food will be Banquet Brown and Serve Sausage Links (5 at lunch, 5 at dinner -- that's roughly 640 calories a day) I've mentioned before that Carbs and I don't mix well)
    -- My exercise will begin One Week from today (So my body has Time to regulate to Ketosis and the Potassium reloading)
    -- I'll be doing BowFlex MWF's and bounce on a rebounder (mini-trampoline) 20 mns/every day.

With a little luck, and a lot of directed effort I should still Meet that Challenge for March 19th.

I really want to be chirping-in every day to support you all. I just didn't feel I was in any position to help.

Peace, Marc

Last edited by 16Again on Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:08 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : "!3" to "13")
16Again
16Again

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmac Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:04 am

Way to go 16 sometimes it takes soul searching to get u straight. I was getting cramps in my caves at night and I started taking 1 of my wife's 1a days for woman's and my 1 a day for men and the cramps went away. wife vitamins had lots more potassium and calcium stay strong u got this Smile
Dmac
Dmac

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next