starting up again today

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

starting up again today - Page 3 Empty interesting article on starvation mode

Post  starbucks addict on Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:51 am

Hey guys just thought i would share interesting article i found on the myth of starvation mode - cause its something that i was a little worried about before as we don't eat much on this diet and seem to gain alot once I have a slip and worried about metabolism slowing down however i think the article makes me feel alot better! its on fitness blackbook which is a really cool site in general.

Starvation Mode – Why You Probably Never Need to Worry About It

Most People Never Need to Worry About Starvation Mode

Most likely, starvation mode isn't happening to anybody reading this. The average person thinks starvation mode happens between meals. It isn't about not having enough calories. It isn't about not having enough protein. It only effects people at their critical low body fat mass (5% for guys, 10% for women). You have to be in a massive deficit and already at your critical low body fat level. You are "6 pack ripped" before ever getting to starvation mode.

Why People Think Their Metabolism is Slowing Down

People with more fat available to oxidize…can oxidize more body fat per minute. The less body fat you have, the less you can oxidize per minute. So as you get closer to your lower limits of body fat, the slower you will burn what body fat you have. This is why those last 4-5 pounds come off slowly, NOT because you are wrecking your metabolism with an aggressive diet.

link for full article:
http://fitnessblackbook.com/main/starvation-mode-why-you-probably-never-need-to-worry-about-it/
starbucks addict
starbucks addict

Back to top Go down

starting up again today - Page 3 Empty Re: starting up again today

Post  spryng on Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:55 am

oh that is awesome!!!!!!!!!!! I was worried about that too with this diet but that makes perfect sense!! Thanks so much for sharing that! study
spryng
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post  Moonie on Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:17 pm

We can now continue this diet without any worries. Razz

Moonie

Back to top Go down

Post  starbucks addict on Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:42 pm

all good guys! I will try and find some of his other articles to post up - they are really good Cool

day 12
128.8/123.8/110
loss to date 5
b - tall soy caramel chocolate (i know i said i wasn't going to have anymore but hunger killing me! but i downgraded my size Rolling Eyes )
l - 3 sushi (5-6 bites)
d - 4 sushi, miso soup
extras - 10 almonds, 2 bite pancake

yay im so happy that i still lost 0.8lbs even though i indulged in bday cake! must be cause i stuck with my bites at dinner and lunch? since i was still losing have decided to keep my milky drink in the morning but got the next smaller size - eventually i will work my way down to a short but will get rid of it if i stall for 2 days if doing my bites good at the same time.

update: so today was not perfect, gave into some snacks as was starving at 5pm and at friends house so had some almonds and 2 bite pancake for dessert.

Last edited by starbucks addict on Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
starbucks addict
starbucks addict

Back to top Go down

Post  spryng on Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:08 pm

I love sushi! Do you just get 5 pieces? does it hold you over well until the next meal? Congrats on the 5 lbs! and I agree about your morning coffee, if it's not stalling you then no harm is done Smile
spryng
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post  starbucks addict on Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:55 pm

thanks heaps spryng! yeah i love it too, never get sick of it and love japanese food in general.

I actually only have 3 pieces at the moment as my 5 bites, although i could fix one sushi in my mouth at one time lol I thought 3 was kinda the size of snickers bar so thats why i have 3. it do still get hungry around 5pm however i get hungry with anything i eat and it is not the type of hunger that i can't battle away with green tea so would recommend it!

its also quite a balanced and healthy fresh meal in my opinion Very Happy
starbucks addict
starbucks addict

Back to top Go down

Post  starbucks addict on Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:08 pm

here's another article that i like from fitness blackbook (since we were discussing excercising and all before Very Happy ) I just love rusty's articles as they contradict and challenge alot of what is in mainstream magazines and media.

Is Diet OR Exercise More Important for Fat Loss and Getting Lean?
Updated November 13, 2007

So is diet or exercise more important when it comes to losing body fat? I am the author of a fitness site, so obviously I am a big believer in exercise…but to be honest, you can get pretty dramatic results from diet alone. In fact, I would say that 90% of the people who are having a tough time losing weight are simply messing up when it comes to diet.

In a Perfect World You Should Combine Diet and Exercise

For best results, exercise with diet is your best route to a lean body. The problem is this…things don't always go as planned and life gets busy. There are times when you simply can't exercise, but you always have time to diet. No matter how busy life gets, simply follow your diet and you will make forward progress. Exercise whenever time allows, but no matter what…stick to your diet (whatever diet plan you end up following).

"You Can't Out-Exercise a Big Mac"

I can't remember which of the readers of this blog put that as a comment to one of my articles, but I really enjoy that phrase. A Big Mac has 540 calories. Do you realize how much exercising it takes to burn those calories? Well about an hour on the elliptical trainer at a moderate pace would do the trick! So after an hour of boring cardio, you are back to square one…you probably won't lose weight at all especially if you added the fries and soft drink. Large fries would be an extra 570 calories and a large non-diet soft drink would be an extra 310 calories. So how much exercise would you have to do to burn 1,400+ calories? Let's not even go there!

It is Easier to Create a Large Calorie Deficit Through Dieting

A simple approach to losing weight is to create a daily calorie deficit. Basically, the idea is for your body to use more calories each day than what you consume in food calories. So, there are two ways to create this deficit…either consume less calories or burn more through exercising. Each pound of fat on your body is 3,500 calories. So to lose 2 pounds per week, you need to create a weekly calorie deficit of 7,000…or a daily calorie deficit of 1,000. In my opinion it is much easier to create this calorie deficit by not eating those calories in the first place. You would have to spend two hours at a moderate pace on a stationary bike EVERY day to accomplish this!

Diet is More Important Than Many People Realize

I would bet that over 80% of the articles in fitness magazines are about exercise. It does make a lot of sense, because exercising is a much more interesting topic. The funny thing is that diet is equally, if not more important to an attractive physique. Don't get me wrong…I am a HUGE believer in regular exercise…I just think people are "spinning their wheels" when it comes to getting fit by not paying enough attention to diet. If your diet is bad, a lot of your effort in the gym goes to waste.

for full article visit:
http://fitnessblackbook.com/dieting_for_fat_loss/is-diet-or-exercise-more-important-for-fat-loss-and-getting-lean/
starbucks addict
starbucks addict

Back to top Go down

Post  spryng on Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:59 pm

Love this! we are definitely creating a calorie deficit with this diet. I agree its much easier than spending two hours exercising each day. Smile And ditto on the green tea! I drink at least 4 glasses of it each day and it really does stave off the hunger pangs. I drink it in while waiting for lunch and also after dinner and it's so good for us. I drink about 12-14 glasses of fluids a day and 4 of those are green tea for sure Smile
spryng
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post  Moonie on Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:11 am

Yea.. I totally agree with the article. I actually tried exercising to lose weight by working out 1.5 hours per day 6 days a week. I thought I could eat like I used to but I packed on the pounds pretty fast still. Then my dietian friend told me that exercise only makes up about 20% of weight loss. It'd help u lose weight faster but in the end u still have to contol what u eat and that it's life long battle which makes this diet great! It helps to train ur body to eat lesser.

Moonie

Back to top Go down

starting up again today - Page 3 Empty day 13

Post  starbucks addict on Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:34 pm

day 13
128.8/123.4/110
loss to date 5.4
b - none
l - 4 bite steak, 1 bite salad, 2 bite rice
d - tba

Last edited by starbucks addict on Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
starbucks addict
starbucks addict

Back to top Go down

Post  connie on Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:39 am

You are almost there!

Cheers,

Connie
connie
connie

Back to top Go down

Post  starbucks addict on Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:48 am

okay so day 13 was total bust. for some reason i find it real hard to stop snacking on friday and saturdays when i dont have work and the set routine Crying or Very sad
i went out for lunch and had 7 bites which is not too bad but when i got home ended up snacking on cake, shortbread and then later went to friends house and
had chocolate, caramel nuts and kfc for dinner without sticking to bites.
weighed in tonight at 126 - 2.6 up from this morning! i'm going to sleep now and hopefully most of this added weight will magically disappear in the morning.

very angry with myself as i was on the right track and this is going to prolly set me back 3 days again Evil or Very Mad

will just need to get over it and start afresh tomorrow.

hope you guys had a better friday than me bite wise!
starbucks addict
starbucks addict

Back to top Go down

Post  spryng on Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:36 pm

Don't beat yourself up, we've all been there for sure and another thing, NEVER weigh in the evenings after you've eaten, you are just asking for punishment from the scale, LOL I don't even weigh myself the day after going off plan, it's always gonna be up with water retention. I give it about 3-4 days then weigh. But hang in there, just get right back on plan today and you'll be just fine Smile
spryng
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post  starbucks addict on Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:31 pm

thanks spryng. i weighed in this morning at 124.8 so gain of 1.4 so not as bad as i thought. yeah i guess i should wait to weigh but i have no self control when it comes to the scale!

starbucks addict
starbucks addict

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmac on Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:00 pm

Congratulations getting right back on track is great. the weekends are very difficult
Dmac
Dmac

Back to top Go down

Post  Moonie on Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:57 am

Keep going and the weight will def go off! I have a tough time with snacks as well. Normally, I wouldn't allow myself to take even one bite outside meal times because I know if I had a taste, I might not be able to control myself...

Lol. I also have that tendency to weight myself everyday. Razz

Moonie

Back to top Go down

Post  connie on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:59 am

Yep, I am an every day weigher, too! Sometimes, every few hours-er!

Connie
connie
connie

Back to top Go down

starting up again today - Page 3 Empty day 14

Post  starbucks addict on Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:41 pm

okay so saturday was total bust too Embarassed

i went to bday brunch and ate half my meal, from there had iced chocolate when meeting up with another friend and had snacks the rest of the day at friend's house - chips and dip, bread and hummus, cheese and crackers, sushi the works! also went out to town and had a cocktail (stopped after 1 though!)

haven't been home since yesturday so will weigh in tonight to see damage done.

I am doing 5 bite today though! I think i need to clear my schedule for weekends for awhile and not put myself in situations where i will overeat/snack in the first place until i gain enough self control! Hopefully haven't gained enough to un-do all my hard work from the rest of this week Crying or Very sad will update tonight
starbucks addict
starbucks addict

Back to top Go down

Post  connie on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:40 pm

A tip, if I may be so bold? Eating high protein low sugar bites just cuts the living daylights out of your appetite. I am walking around full like I just ate Thanksgiving dinner! Hope this helps!

Connie flower
connie
connie

Back to top Go down

Post  starbucks addict on Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:33 am

thanks connie Smile yeah i think protein would probably help the weight loss in general too. however when i go offplan its not because im hungry, i kinda just end up eating it because its there and everyone else is eating. yesturday i was snacking on the food at friends house and was actually quite full but kept eating cause it tasted good Embarassed

i guess i just gotta be really strict with myself and just not snack at all fullstop no matter what day, time and event it is!
starbucks addict
starbucks addict

Back to top Go down

Post  Moonie on Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:01 am

One of my skinny friends taught me this trick. When u snack, eat super super slowly. It would seem like you snack along with them cause u keep eating but u barely had any snacks. Like just nibble your way thru snacks.

I hope this helps. Very Happy

Moonie

Back to top Go down

Post  starbucks addict on Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:24 am

thanks for the tip moonie! yeah i should just eyeball out 5 bites worth next time and limit myself to eating that slowly Very Happy

thats cool that your skinny friend shares tips with you, skinny ppl i know insist that they 'eat alot' all the time when really they don't. I have one friend that insists she eats alot and will have a large lunch with her however if you pay attention you can see that she only eats a few bites of it and throws / gives the rest away! pretty much doing 5 biting without meaning to!
starbucks addict
starbucks addict

Back to top Go down

starting up again today - Page 3 Empty day15

Post  starbucks addict on Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:05 am

day 15
128.8/125/110
loss to date 3.8
breakie - soy hot chocolate tall
lunch - 3 piece sushi
dinner - 1 bumper bar (5 bites)

yay just weighed in and at 125 - really stocked cause i thought that the day off yesturday with all the snacks and drinking would have put my weight up at least to 127 so glad about it Very Happy
starbucks addict
starbucks addict

Back to top Go down

Post  spryng on Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:36 pm

congrats on the loss!!!it's so nice to see a day or meal off plan doesn't set us back too much and we just keep plugging forward Smile and that is so true about naturally thin people, they are really taking a few bites and pushing the plate away. I have a friend who is so thin ans shes a nibbler. Reminds me of Bethany Frankel as well in her book Naturally Thin she talks about tasting everything but eating nothing. She'll go out to eat and order a really rich, fatty steak and only eat a couple bites and move on. She believes in enjoying your food and eating what you love but just a few bites and calling it good so really what this diet is all about as well. I love that. Means we'll be able to incorporate this lifestyle after goal as well. Taste everything, eat nothing. I love it, LOL
spryng
spryng

Back to top Go down

starting up again today - Page 3 Empty day 16

Post  starbucks addict on Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:03 pm

thanks spryng! ooh love that saying! yeah also i read that french women stay slim as they believe that food tastes best in first few 2 bites so just eat 2 bites of whatever they want which is totally 5 biting! also quite a few thin people don't eat breakie and just drink coffee!

day 16
128.8/124/110
loss to date 4.8
b - soy hot chocolate
l - 3 sushi
d - 2 bite chicken, 2 bite rice, 1 bite brocolli

Last edited by starbucks addict on Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:49 am; edited 3 times in total
starbucks addict
starbucks addict

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum