Kalliopikat's Journal

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Kalliopikat's Journal Empty Kalliopikat's Journal

Post  Kaliopikat on Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:33 am

I know this is weird, but I'm going to track my weight here, instead of having to hunt for it through pages.

5/21/12: 203.8 lbs
5/28/12: 197.8 lbs, -6... ok considering how poorly I stuck to the plan. Will do better next week! Started 20 day challenge today!
6/4/12:
6/11/12:
6/18/12:
6/25/12:

------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, new here. Today first day. : )

Ok, so I just learned/researched this plan last night, and boy...it sounds completely insane. But then, a short-term, low calorie plan like this seems much less damaging than walking around 24 hrs a day with an extra 65 lbs on my frame, so I'm willing to give it a shot.

What draws me to this plan is how convenient it seems. A week ago, I started Paleo, but man...that is SO much work. I spent all the weekend cooking nonstop, to prep for the work week, and it was exhausting. Here, I don't believe I'll have that problem! Very Happy I mean...for example, the thought of 5 bites of a sandwich made of almond butter, honey, banana on whole wheat bread sounds so incredibly delicious and SIMPLE!

So, like I said, I've spent the past 5 days on Paleo, which besides the work, I enjoyed. Before that, I did the Intermittent Fasting plan, Fast-5 (ok, apparently the number "5" draws me...who knew?) I actually totally loved Intermittent Fasting (IF), but loss was incredibly slow. I knew that going in, but mentally, I need to see results. It doesn't have to be 2 lbs a day, but something. Anyway, IF was wonderful. It was the first plan that made me feel somewhat in control. I had no idea I needed that. The one issue that always troubled me about Fast 5 is that I felt like was was overeating during the window; here, this won't be a problem, I think. ha ha ha.

So, Day 1 today for me on 5 Bites. Between my recent IF and Paleo experiences, today was delightful; very easy. I understand the value of a hot drink- huge help. Here's my intake for today:

Breakfast- Medium coffee with a little cream
Lunch- 5 bites of homemade meatloaf with fresh celery
Dinner- 5 bites of Trader Joe Spinach/Bacon salad

Drank coffee, water, and a tea today. Need to remember to take vitamins; forgot today & am too lazy to go take them now.

I'm very pleased with how I feel. This morning I weighed myself; I guess it could be worse. One thing I plan to do differently this attempt, is not screw around with "oh...I'll be happy if I lose 30 lbs" when in my soul, I know I am at my healthiest and best after the loss of 65...so here it goes. I intend to lose 65 lbs. There. I said it. I haven't so much as THOUGHT that since I was 20...long, long. long time ago!

Oh and another thing, I intend to only weigh myself once a week, each Tuesday morning. I just can't stand the thought of being chained to my scale, and the thought of failure just makes me pre-depressed. I hope this works for me as well as it seems to work for everyone else. Shocked

Here are my goals. Pretty similar to many others I've seen, but I refuse to put a time goal on them. What I'm curious about is how long it actually takes me to accomplish these goals, so I will record as I hit them.
Goal 1- 20 lbs
Goal 2- 20 lbs
Goal 3- 20 lbs
Goal 4- 5 lbs

Ok, I've talked too much. Looking forward to reading more profiles!
Kat

Last edited by Kalliopikat on Tue May 29, 2012 1:20 am; edited 3 times in total
Kaliopikat
Kaliopikat

Back to top Go down

Kalliopikat's Journal Empty Re: Kalliopikat's Journal

Post  Alexis2012 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:25 pm

WELCOME!!! Your goals sound very resonable. Stay encouraged. It looks like you had a great 1st day - whoohoo. I am excited to read about your journey. I am on day 5 today and it is going pretty well.
Alexis2012
Alexis2012

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaliopikat on Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:33 am

Ok, am trying this again, I hope it posts to my original posts.

Today very good. Stressful day at work, so not hungry. Ummm...just had dinner, need to get out, so am going for a 1/2 hour walk. That's about it, nothing interesting. Still no Snickers meal, need to try that, see what happens.

B- Coffee w/a little cream (I agree Alexis, I think its way tastier w/out sweetener. You should try an iced coffee like this...yummm!)
L- 5 good bites of meatloaf w/fresh celery (apparently it only has 6 calories a stock, so I'm not too worried about extra bites of this)
D- 1 bite of peanut butter and 4 bites of grilled chicken w/quinoa topped with Flaxseed oil.

Off for my walk.

PS. Am dreading tomorrow/the weekend. I love doing this at work because its all-consuming there, but nothing planned for the weekend...blah...Anyway, maybe it will be fine.
Kaliopikat
Kaliopikat

Back to top Go down

Post  Alexis2012 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:23 pm

Sounds like another great day for you!

I am heading to costco tonight I think to get a big box of snickers. I've been losing about 1lb a day and I am curious to see if I do the snickers only if I can lose 2lbs. I also know I've been eating some big bites so it'll be interesting to also see how I do on the "real" volume/portion of food the doc recommends.

I don't really have a game plan for the weekend either. I think I want to stay busy and maybe buy something a new shirt or something to remind me of my progress. That should help me stay on plan.
Alexis2012
Alexis2012

Back to top Go down

Post  Snow White on Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:30 pm

Sounds like you One thing I have done to help with portion sizes is I made a Snickers template out of some cardstock paper (traced a Snickers bar), laminated and used it to measure food. We figured out on here that it is actually 5 tablespoons, so a 1/3 cup measure is close enough and I have used that, too. However, this is pretty hard to stick too long term. I have found that I will still lose about a pound a day eating 5 pretty big bites at lunch & dinner. Good luck, and please share whatever you are doing to help with portions.
Snow White
Snow White

Back to top Go down

Post  Alexis2012 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:57 pm

Wow, that is a wonderful idea!! Well first I will have only the snickers to get the feel of it and then I will try your idea. It's such a good idea. I am just afraid that I would be STARVING if I actually ate that amount of food instead of my big bites. I guess we'll see what happens this weekend.
Alexis2012
Alexis2012

Back to top Go down

Kalliopikat's Journal Empty Hi!

Post  Kaliopikat on Thu May 17, 2012 2:42 am

Thank you for the helpful posts. Sorry I've been so dead; I did this diet for 3 days, and then went to the gym to work out...yikes. That didn't go well, so I stopped the 5B plan.

I have thought about this a lot, will not emphasize on heavy exercise, and will start up again on Monday (can't start sooner, going on a hike on Sunday, will need food). Maybe if I take it easy, just ride bike or walk, stick to diet, it will be good enough.

Thanks again & look forward to Monday restart!
Kaliopikat
Kaliopikat

Back to top Go down

Post  Snow White on Thu May 17, 2012 3:24 am

Exercise is tough on this diet...don't get me started! You'll have to decide for now which you want more: to lose weight or to exercise. You can always exercise after you lose the weight. I have been playing tennis on the weekends and staying on the diet and it is going well. Dr. Lewis says you need to learn to ignore the shakiness...this is why I only play once a week...it's just too hard otherwise. Good luck with your restart! : )))))))
Snow White
Snow White

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaliopikat on Thu May 17, 2012 5:26 am

Yes, that's the conclusion I've come to, hopefully the weight loss will just be a quick, short term thing, and then I can get back to being really active. Thank you for your comment, glad to hear what I went through is normal!
Kaliopikat
Kaliopikat

Back to top Go down

Post  mommieof2 on Thu May 17, 2012 11:41 am

Exercise is difficult on this diet but it's not impossible. I think you just have to find an exercise that doesn't make you want to vomit or faint. I've found if I consume enough water and eat my 5 bites about 30 mins before I'm able to do the exercise no problem. I did, however, have to stop doing Jillian Michaels as it's non stop and I was getting a bit dizzy, so i stuck with running, walking and lighter body weight exercises. Good luck on Monday we all are hear to encourage you through your weight loss journey.
mommieof2
mommieof2

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaliopikat on Fri May 18, 2012 4:59 am

That's exactly how I felt the night I went to step class...I wasn't sure if I was going to puke or pass out. lol. Thanks for the advice. I like to be active so will try and find that balanced place.
Kaliopikat
Kaliopikat

Back to top Go down

Post  mommieof2 on Fri May 18, 2012 11:36 am

Kathyrn, I look forward to this journey with you. I actually did not exercise at all yesterday. I remember when I went to a weight loss clinic they told me not to exercise at all until I reach my goal, I'm assuming to bring about faster weight loss, so I'm going to try this for a few days and see if I lose quicker. Good luck with your 5bites it's gets easier for sure..
mommieof2
mommieof2

Back to top Go down

Post  Snow White on Fri May 18, 2012 8:12 pm

I'm losing a pound a day with no exercise...just sayin! ; )))))))
5 bites works!!!!
Snow White
Snow White

Back to top Go down

Post  Alexis2012 on Fri May 18, 2012 11:48 pm

If intention counts for exercise then I have been exercising all my life. If only the actual "exercising" counts then I haven't exercised since March of 2010 or something lol. I found it much easier to exercise when I had lost a lot of weight and was much lighter. Of course with every new day I again *intend* to exercise but don't get to it. I think the saying is that exercise is much more effective at helping "maintaining" goal weight than helping us get there. Since everyone is different, I say play around with it to see what your body responds too.

Good luck with 5 bites. I think it will work no matter what you do as long as you stick to plan.
Alexis2012
Alexis2012

Back to top Go down

Post  mommieof2 on Sat May 19, 2012 11:26 am

Kathryn, just checking in on ya, I look forward to next week when you start the 5 bite again. I agree with Snow white and Alexis because I was thinking I would exercise daily to make sure I sped up my weight loss but it seem to hinder mine so I stop thursday and what ever activity I do outside the norm I think I will count as exercise, but just to stop and go for a 30 min run I will wait until my weight is gone. Since I haven't exercised I've lost almost 2.5lbs so the exercise was, of course, helping my muscle stay toned but cause water retention and slowing the process down. I'm in no way saying don't do it as it may aid in your weight loss as we all are different in our ways and evidently I lose weight faster with out it and once all this fat is gone I will be able to see what muscle I have under there. Anyway good luck to you Monday.
mommieof2
mommieof2

Back to top Go down

Kalliopikat's Journal Empty Tuna Mash & Limbic vs. Somatic Hunger

Post  Kaliopikat on Tue May 22, 2012 3:57 am

Hi there!

Sorry...some times I will label my posts in case I want to refer back to them later. I never remember recipes or ideas I like, and hopefully this will make easier to find again.

Thank you for all the encouraging comments, and I hadn't even started yet! So nice of everyone.

Today day 1. I weighed myself...sad to see the scale at 203.8, but that's ok. I've decided my previous goal strategy was too overwhelming, and am going to try to focus on small goals, which I've never attempted before. I'm trying to be reasonable in my approach to this plan because I'm tired of failing to lose weight. I'd like to see how soon I can reach 197 Question From there, I think I'll just focus on 10 lbs at a time until I get to 120 or 125. hahahaha...sounds so funny writing it. I haven't weighed that since high school, and I thought I was HUGE back then. geez.

Today went well, I have no complaints.
B- Plain coffee
L- Snickers Bar
D- 5 bites of: Can of tuna in water mixed with fresh chopped celery, mayo, avocado, crumbled bacon, egg- all mashed together...yum...so go, and very satisfying once the first 15 mins had past. I could have eaten the whole thing, but actually stopped at 5 bites...yahoooo! It's been 2.5 hrs and I'm still not hungry, which is awesome. I had planned to eat another Snickers bar for dinner, but just was craving something more nutritious.

I feel good. I don't think my body has caught on to this 5B plan yet. Or maybe it's just rolling it's eyes at me. I have been a big fan of Fast 5, but the reason I can't succeed is that plan is that I think I need stricter parameters, and I think 5B is actually quite similar to Fast 5, but sets those limitations. I don't do well when someone tells me I can have whatever food in unlimited quantity. Even if it's only one meal a day! It's terrifying how much food I can put away in a 1 hour span.

WARNING: The following lecture is for me. It's going to be dull, don't say I didn't warn you! I'm trying to remember the difference between these two types of hunger, and I'm having trouble with it, so think maybe it will help me to write it dosn.

LIMBIC hunger is what happens when your eating behavior conflicts with your long-term preference to eat less. "Limbic" comes from the limbic system, the part of the brain that connects primitive drives, emotions, and memory. This is SO me. An example is the bastard potato chip (I love potato chips; the more salt the better). You can't just have one because of limbic hunger. Eating one chip triggers more appetite because primitive limbic signals tell our brain to eat as much as we can while food is available. This describes me to the core, which is why I need limitations!!! Limbic hunger in a land of plenty causes one (me) to eat too often and too much. oh yeahhhh.....!

SOMATIC hunger is the sensation of discomfort in the stomach area that is commonly called hunger or hunger pangs. It is the result of the interaction of many hormonal and nerve signals and incorporates more info than whether the stomach is just empty. As long as these sensations stay out of mind, they are tolerable. As time goes by with the 5B plan, it would make sense that the sensation of hunger becomes less frequent, less intense, and much less distracting.

I pulled this info from the free download from the Fast 5 website. I keep rereading it to help me remember what I'm dealing with. I find in my case, I'm hungry 95% of the time not because I'm actually hungry, but because I'm bored, and seem to be on a constant quest for food. It's so annoying.

Overall, my day 1 has been great. I have no complaints at all, and am hoping tomorrow will be as mellow.

[u]

Last edited by Kalliopikat on Mon May 28, 2012 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kaliopikat
Kaliopikat

Back to top Go down

Post  mommieof2 on Tue May 22, 2012 11:43 am

Kathryn, Great job on your five bites.. I can so see myself in your post so we are pretty similar in more ways than just weight. I believe if you stick to the five bite you will reach your mini goal very shortly. Thanks for the hunger info, even if it was for you, it was very interesting to read. Keep up the good work. I would post more but running late on taking the daughter to school.
mommieof2
mommieof2

Back to top Go down

Post  Snow White on Tue May 22, 2012 2:26 pm

Kat,
Loved your post! Limbic hunger! All I want to do is eat! I love the way food tastes! I'm doing that too, focusing on 10 pound goals and the doing a reward for myself like pedicures! It is going very, very well lately. Stay strong and believe in yourself and this process and you will be to your 120 goal in no time! : ))))))
Snow White
Snow White

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaliopikat on Wed May 23, 2012 4:20 am

Thanks for the comment Mommieof2...and glad it's going so well for you Snow White, that's great to hear; encouraging.

Rough day, but did fine until tonight.
B- coffee
L- Snickers
D- small salad w/tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce and avocado w/vinaigrette. Big glass of red wine and couple handfuls of popcorn. It was a friend's bd, went out, super fun, so worth it. Will get on track tomorrow, promise! I don't consider today a setback, just part of life. I don't want to be miserable, but will get in line tomorrow.

Yes, food is good. I figure I have never committed any major crime, I don't smoke, I'm not an alcoholic...only legal thing I can do is eat, and that backfires by making me fat. LOL. aaahhhh...you just can't win.

Here's to a better day tomorrow. : )

Kaliopikat
Kaliopikat

Back to top Go down

Post  mommieof2 on Wed May 23, 2012 11:30 am

Kat, Way to think and really I'm sure your calories are still lower than what you could have had. I focus on the five bites buy making food the size of my fist and try to keep the calories under 600 because two snickers bars are like 560 so that helps me to eat what I want in moderation, however if you have read my journal you know I've been eating extra due to crazy cravings and not controlling that craving. Anyway today's another day keep up the great work.
mommieof2
mommieof2

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaliopikat on Thu May 24, 2012 2:50 am

Thanks, Michelle. Yes, I saw your post about the cravings...it's tough. I consider myself very lucky because Monday through Thursday I work 9 hr days, and am usually so stressed out, I could care less about food. Week days are easy for me. I'm dreading the weekend, when I can relax and just be home. This is always my worst time for food cause I think about it too much. Oh well. See what happens once I get there.

Today a very good day. Nothing exciting.
B- coffee
L- 4 bites of that tuna mash from the other night, and a 1 bitel cake pop someone got me. Thoroughly enjoyed it. : )
D- 5 bites of steak in palak paneer. The spinach was great, steak yuck. Note to self: don't buy cheap meat. You get what you pay for.

That's it. Went out to Walmart to stock up on Snickers. See...nothing remotely interesting...hope you're all having a great night.

Kathryn
Kaliopikat
Kaliopikat

Back to top Go down

Post  Snow White on Thu May 24, 2012 3:06 am

Sounds like you had a great day today! Great job! Also, your cheat wasn't much of a cheat!!!! When I cheat, I go all in!!! So, you are definitely doing better than I am in making long term changes. If I don't stay on this way of eating, I'll be right back to binging in no time...I just love to eat! Lately I have been watching that show Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives and fantasizing about eating at all those restaurants!!! Yes, I've got it bad! I love your idea about the cake pops! Those sound perfect for this diet! I see they have them at Starbuck's now...have you tried theirs???
Snow White
Snow White

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaliopikat on Thu May 24, 2012 4:37 am

Yes, SW...yikes...some of them are super good. I love the peppermint one, and the rocky road...delicious. Not crazy about the red velvet...they are perfect size for one bite, very rich & satisfying, and of you like coffee....perfect with a cup! : )
Kaliopikat
Kaliopikat

Back to top Go down

Post  mommieof2 on Thu May 24, 2012 11:42 am

Kat, most of the time we all have less than exciting food to report most of mine is always a sandwich and yogurt but I just stick to the same thing as it's simple for me to eat the 5 bites. Good job keep up the good work. I've never heard of cake pops, maybe that's a good thing..
mommieof2
mommieof2

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaliopikat on Fri May 25, 2012 4:50 am

aghh...annoying day today. Did great until 5. And then I was just dying for a frozen snickers bar, but didn't do it...ugh...evenings are the worst for me, probably cause I'm not working.

B- coffee
L- Snickers
D- 5 bites of that tuna mash; not as tasty as the first time because I'm trying to use up a jar of fat free mayo, and it just doesn't have the zing of the regular. Then...I had a bag of Target popcorn. I love popcorn. I didn't have any beer, though popcorn and beer is one of my favorite things in the world. Complete meal as far as I'm concerned. Anyways...really, really wanted more, but didn't, guess that's good.

I have to figure something else out. Maybe 2 bites at 5pm, 3 at 7? I don't know. Are we supposed to eat all 5 bites in one shot, or can we spread them out? hmmm....

ok, pooped, going to sleep.
Kaliopikat
Kaliopikat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum