5 Bite Diet Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Would like some advice 5 biters please - underactive thyroid and keeping weight off

4 posters

Go down

Would like some advice 5 biters please - underactive thyroid and keeping weight off Empty Would like some advice 5 biters please - underactive thyroid and keeping weight off

Post  Kaci002 Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:45 am

Hi all,
I am not new to the 5 bites diet, I have been a member of this forum for sometime however have never sucessfully completed the diet for any length of time.
Last year I found out I had a mild underactive thyroid making it really hard to lose weight, my doctor has put me on supplements rather then medication and they seem to be starting to work as i feel better.
I have been able to lose a little bit of weight following very healithy eating, soups, chicken salad etc but its really coming off very slowly. Its my big 40 22 Sept and I really want to get the weight off by then or as much as I can but I am concerned about doing my thyroid some hard losing it too fast.
So anyway last week for 1 week I followed the 5 bite perfectly, it was more of a test to see what it was, and always my plan to try it for 1 week only then get back onto healithy eating (which is still fairly small portions).
After the week I lost about 7lbs and I found it actually really easy to do, wasnt hungry or any bad side effects. However when I stopped and start eating again, even though I was eating super healithy and salads and soups I obviously wasnt eating only 5 bites, all the weight I lost flew straight back on in days.
So I wanted to ask people who have followed the diet for a long time, does this happen to everyones and if I lost say 28 lbs in say 8 weeks, if I then went onto healithy eating will it all fly back on, or did that only happen cause I followed it for only 1 week?

Any advice would be appreciated as I am really tempted to go for it and get the weight off but am worried about thyroid issues long term.

xxxxx Kaci

Kaci002

Back to top Go down

Would like some advice 5 biters please - underactive thyroid and keeping weight off Empty Re: Would like some advice 5 biters please - underactive thyroid and keeping weight off

Post  ElleBella Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Im sorry I can not answer this one for you ..but I would also like to know.. I understand that as you eat less your stomache shrinks there for you should eat less when you reach goal naturally?? Hope you get you answer.. Cheers
ElleBella
ElleBella

Back to top Go down

Would like some advice 5 biters please - underactive thyroid and keeping weight off Empty Re: Would like some advice 5 biters please - underactive thyroid and keeping weight off

Post  16Again Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:31 am

Hi Kaci,

7 Pounds in ONE WEEK is Brilliant!! Congratulations!

Sorry about the re-gain. I'm no Physician, but maybe we can LOGIC some of this out together.

First, if an "underactive thyroid" makes it difficult to Lose ANY Weight, it sure sounds like THIS is your best choice of DIET to conquer your wayward thyroid. 7 POUNDS in a week would be any thyroid-patient's DREAM!!

The fact that this was "really easy" also speaks to its "rightness." Okay, you say you tested the DIET for 1 Week. THAT Test was a roaring Success!

Your Next Test was a "Maintenance Test" and those results were sadly sobering. But here's the Bright Side: You did the DIET right. You simply did maintenance wrong. That's just a "timing and portion" problem and we can ABSOLUTELY fix that.

SO here's the deal. You Know what to eat, and how much to eat, to lose roughly 1 Pound per Day. Get in the MindSet to do that for as long as it takes, straight through, to lose your 28 Pounds (It could be 35 or 40 days. It could be 26 days) Keep taking your supplements. Do THIS DIET.

Now, yes, your thyroid is in play. BUT "5 Bites" is winning. When you reach your 28-Pound-Lighter Goal, you would STILL be losing weight at 5 Bites (probably "slower," but still...).

"Maintenance" is about finding How Much you Need To Eat to STAY at your Healthy Weight.

Once you "Get to Goal," you'd still have roughly Four and a Half more weeks to discover your Perfect Maintenance Portions before your Birthday. Okay, let's say the day after you reach your Goal, you still skip breakfast and you eat SIX Bites per meal -- AND... the next day, you find you've Lost 3/4 of a pound instead of 1 pound.

Well, you're still Losing, so SIX Bites isn't enough for Maintenance. So THIS day you eat SEVEN Bites. And the Next you eat EIGHT. If you gain a pound, cut back to Seven per meal. This ISN'T FOREVER. And you may get up to 15 Bites per meal (or more) before you stabilize (that's a whole Steak and half a loaded Baked Potato for me). But you see where this Goes, don't you? It's ALL about finding the right "Portion." If the Portions are of "Super Healthy Foods," well, all the better.

Sure some days you'll want to Feast (like your Birthday?), but if you've gained the day after, you do 2 Meals at 5 Bites and the next your normalized at 15 Bites a meal. A little-known fact is that Doctor Lewis still eats NO Breakfast, and he guess-timates that his lunch and dinner are "around 30 Bites" each, every day plus a Starbucks "Venti Latte", also every day. And his weight doesn't fluctuate.

We're on this Diet "TO LIVE OFF OUR EXCESS TISSUE" until we "HAVE NO MORE EXCESS TISSUE." Then... we have to FEED ourselves ENOUGH to supply our Remaining/Basic/Foundational TISSUE with the ENERGY to LIVE and LIVE WELL.

And, who knows? This might (I say "might") restore your "underactive thyroid" to full functioning... at some point no longer requiring the supplements (which, as long as we're just "LOGIC-ing" this out, you may need to wean-off them gradually or your new SUPER-Thyroid would require you to eat 50 BITES per MEAL to simply "maintain." -- or, something like that.)

So, whaddya' think? Maybe talk to your Doc about all this, as well.

Maybe, also, come on over to the "Git 'Er Done" Challenge and join in. It ends just 2 DAYS before your Birthday!

Blessings,

Marc
16Again
16Again

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaci002 Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:07 am

Hi Marc

Your absolutly right, the fact I CAN lose 7lbs with an underactive thyroid is just great, shows my body does respond to something.
What im finding this time round is after I lost those 7lbs then gained straight away but now I am back on the 5BD the weight isnt coming off the same, I am on day 4 now and only down 2lbs - however not getting discouraged as its still a loss, I just believe my body is abit confused and will find its way over the next week or so, I wish id stuck at it when I was losing well but it's all been a learning curve and now I know this is the right thing to do to get the weigh off.
My goal is 3lb a week which is definately doable.

How are you getting on?

xx

Kaci002

Back to top Go down

Post  Pookykat Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:55 pm

Hi Kaci,

I sympathize with the hormonal issues making it difficult to lose weight. I have an underactive thyroid, as well, but my levels are finally good and stable, now that my drs. have finally gotten me on the right amount of replacement thyroid meds. I do, however, have a prolactinoma, which is a (benign) tumor on my pituitary gland, that secretes prolactin into my body. It's a hormone that makes your body think it's pregnant. Or nursing. It makes you gain weight, have a lot of bloating issues, feel fatigued and depressed a lot. I've tried both meds for it, and I am not able to tolerate either.

And yet... the 5BD works for me, too! Despite all of these challenges.

I think Marc's post here in response to yours is amazing. I'm glad I read it, for me, as well, because it gives me a good idea of how to do maintenance properly (I have to lose 60 more pounds, so it's going to be awhile for me... ).

But I wanted to speak to your concern about the weight not coming off as quickly after you went back to eating the way you were, pre-5BD.

I had the same problem this week. I slipped off the diet this past Saturday, half way into my week 2. I was frustrated that the scale hadn't budged in 2 days, and said "screw this." I regret doing it. It didn't make me feel any better. I definitely did not enjoy the sensation of having a lot of food in my body the way I thought I would! And THAT was a cool thing to discover.

I went back to 5BD on Sunday, and it's take me until today, Wednesday, to undo the damage of just ONE day. So I'm writing this to you to tell you to be patient. Your body just needs to reset itself again.

I posted on someone else's journal about how our bodies have this primal, evolutionarily developed instinct to keep us from starving. So if you were on very low calories for a week, then all of the sudden you gave your body back a ton of food, your body is going to try and "protect" itself from "starvation" and do everything in its power to hold onto to what it has, for fear that it may not get that food ever again. Especially, if you went back to 5BD. The body is saying, "Whoa - there's not a lot of food coming in again. Let me hold onto this."

I hope this is helpful. Just stick with it, let your body get reacclimated. It will work.

I lost a week (my end of week 2 numbers wound up being the same as my week 1), but I got a lot of information. We can only go forward...

Best of luck!!

Last edited by Pookykat on Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pookykat

Back to top Go down

Post  Kaci002 Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:13 pm

Hi Pookycat

Thank you so much for your reply.
Sorry to hear of your thyroid and glad problems, but great to hear the 5BD is working well for you, really helps keep me going when i hear others doing well, as I must admit when I hadnt seen the scales mover as fast as before I did slightly think 'to hell with it' but i stuck with it, although it was hard.
So as you say its just worth being patient.

I agree Marc reply was great, i've saved it so I can refer back to it when going to maintenance.

Good luck to you too
xx
Kaci

Kaci002

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down