5 Bite Diet Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post-its On The Mirror

2 posters

Go down

Post-its On The Mirror Empty Post-its On The Mirror

Post  Bite_On_This Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:34 pm

After reading a bunch of motivational stuff from this forum (I just ordered the book at it won't come in for 2 weeks..friggn' Amazon) as well as insight into some detail about the book because all I know are the rules, I decided to write the good quotes particularly from the book on post-its and post them wherever I look first thing when I get out of bed. It's mostly on my dresser mirror. I kid you not, it helps. I even say some favorites in my head when I get that empty feeling in my stomach (currently on day 3, lost 6lbs.) After today hopefully the hunger goes away...right? I've never joined a forum before, until this one which in my eyes means I'm in this for the long haul. So I'll need all the motivation I can get.

I have currently sitting on my bookshelf 20 diet books, 6 resistance bands hanging on my door, 7 professional kettlebells (i got IKFF certified a year ago), and currently have a hot yoga/bikram year membership. This is not to brag, but it's to show how obsessed I am with getting down to my goal weight since I was 10. I've been the same weight since high school, which is a positive, but I've never been truly happy with it. I'm 30-40 lbs overweight, yes I'm a dense girl with more muscly than the average chick. BUT, I just like to have that thing feeling already!

Anyhow, I did the 90 minutes in the 'torture chamber' of what is bikram yoga which is 26 postures, in a 105 degree room at 40% humidity and afterwards only felt slightly nauseous which I expected. I came home still kinda out of it, but knew I needed some fuel. Apparently I couldn't keep white rice down, the texture didn't sit well with me. I wonder if this is due to only eating Snickers for meals lately...or the yoga. Anyone else fine their affinity to certain foods change?

So far what's worked going into day 3 (crossing fingers) with eating no b-fast (only coffee), 5 bites for lunch and dinner only, is the following: journaling the heck out my hunger, reading (or at least making a list of books I want to read), apply to grade schools (kinda random), painting my nails, walking the dog, looking for motivation on the internet (a lot), emailing friends, chores, working out -although that seems to have piped down a bit...

Let me just say, I'm a teacher, I get 3 months off a year...talk about finding favorite pastimes to do besides eat. I love watching the cooking channel, cooking, talking about food, baking, I contemplated getting a holistic degree in nutrition just so I could have an excuse to really get into it in my daily life. So finding other shit to do and keep busy all day long is kinda making me OCD and always wanna be on the run just to take my mind off eating. 5 bites, and move on..don't dwell, right? It's hard to watch tv and not snack and simply veg. I did it last night though and felt good about it.

Okay, there's my first and official rant of my life on the internet. I hope someone skims over this and peer pressures me in some positive way. It'd be nice to have that around since I feel this is an ultimate discipline and 'take-control' type practice that needs support, for anyone who's doing this....thanks for reading.

Bite_On_This

Bite_On_This

Back to top Go down

Post-its On The Mirror Empty Re: Post-its On The Mirror

Post  spryng Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:35 pm

Welcome to the forum!!! it's so nice to have another poster here. It's been kinda dead the last month or so. I seem to be talking to myself a lot, LOL.

But welcome and congrats on the 6 lbs lost!!! that is awesome in 3 days! What are your current stats? how tall are you, current weight and goal weight? I just finished my first week, I started aug 1st and I'm down 5.6 lbs total but I'm such a slow loser on any diet anyway so 5.6 seems like a ton to me and I'm psyched! you can see my journal on the journal page if you like. It helps keep me honest and motivated.

My bookshelf looks a lot like yours! I am always joking that I collect diet books but it really does seem that way! I have every book from counting fat grams, counting fiber grams to low carb, low cal.. you name it, I have a book on it, LOL and my house is full of dusty exercise equipment.. good intentions but always wasted it seems. This is the first time though I really feel in control again. I think for me the first 4 days were the toughest, day 5 was simple and easy and it's been a breeze ever since! so hopefully today or tomorrow you'll feel back to normal, more energy and less hungry in all. So hang in there, it DOES get better I promise. But after reading every journal on this site I have found the ones that succeed are the ones who are eating well. If you choose 5 bites of salad as a meal, well that sets you up for failure it seems, it's just not filling. I've found with my own meals making sure I have protein and carbs does the trick.. like chicken and rice really fills me up! but I'm sure it's different for everyone, so just find the meals that work for you and don't be scared to shake it up if you are hungry an hour later. You really should stay satisfied until right before your dinner meal. But that is just my opinion, LOL Oh and the hunger never goes away, but its much better. Like right before lunch I am hungry, so I eat lunch and then I'm just fine until about 30 min or so before dinner.. not ravenous anymore but hungry. Then I may get a tad hungry before bed but again, it's not a ravenous hunger, just a nawing hunger, easy to ignore. So it never goes away but it becomes easier to manage for sure.

Well feel free to post often, I look forward to getting to know you!!! Smile
spryng
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post-its On The Mirror Empty Hi there!

Post  Bite_On_This Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:17 pm

I'm so glad someone responded. Yes, the forum did look pretty dead for a few months, except yours!! I just ate lunch..I feel meat is the only way to go (I had a few bites of steak with bbq sauce) because it's the most satiating. And snickers bars are pretty awesome...mm dinner. hehe. Here are my stats:

In my twenties...
Current weight as of this second: 149lb
Height: 5'4
Squat: 205lb
Deadlift: 175lb

I'm a thick girl, dense. The added muscle probably has something to do with quick weight loss. Muscle, afterall, is the fountain of youth. Pick up some weights, you'll change your shape, posture, everything. You're a lot stronger than you think! You WON'T get manly bulky (unless you have way extra meat on your bones). And for every pound of muscle you have, it burns an extra 50 calories a day...all day. Which is why I hate monotonous cardio. Circuit/crossfit training excellent too. There's super tiny tiny women who weight 115lbs and are way stronger and have more endurance than me, those are my role models. To be strong and healthy and thin is the ultimate goal. Think Kelly Ripa...

However I think my problem is obsessing. If it's not food, it's working out. Maybe you can relate. Therefore, I don't want to obsess or have 'noise' about going to the gym, or missing a workout or going crazy that I didn't eat perfectly and regretting...it's a waste of time. Since starting the 5bd just days ago I can see the control part coming in. This is control I haven't had in a looong time. I just want it to last. It's definitely a good thing. I've spent so much time on thinking about food/working out, all this time is alotted to different pastimes, new things I'm discovering to grow an interest for. I'm learning a lot about myself when the blanket of 'food and exercise' is lifted. It's like, 'damn, I need to get a hobby..or 10.' I have sooo much time to do life stuff!!

Anyhow, thanks for tips and positive motivation. I've been reading your journal as well. If the rest of the forum is dead, I'm glad I got at least 1 person sticking to this aside from me. We can do this! I memorized this quote from the book, it's on a post-it anyhow on my mirror.....'Now is a great time to burn all those extra calories you've been storing (on your belly) from years, months, days ago.'....something like that.

Cheers,
Bite_On_This

Bite_On_This

Back to top Go down

Post  spryng Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:27 pm

yeah I'm hoping the forum picks back up. I can't find anymore out there other than the official one which costs 50 bucks to join... I'm all about free if I can find it, LOL

yeah me and exercise have never been friends and I did hear on this diet it can slow your weightloss down so I've been a little afraid to try it but I did get a great workout in the pool yesterday, I'm so sore today! I think adding in smaller workouts might work for me, just 3 days a week though. Just enough to protect my lean muscle tissue.

and yes having hobbies do help! I've had so much more time to read my favorite books that I keep picking up my nook to read in the evenings etc. I also found time to crochet an afghan etc so yeah find something outside of food to fill your time, you can start several new hobbies Smile something to keep your mind or your hands extra busy, lol

But yeah I love the quick weight loss concept of this plan, per dr lewis he is all about just getting it DONE so we can move on to something more interesting, like maintenance, LOL and believe me if we think losing the weight is hard, wait until we are in maintenance! it's doubly hard but at least we get to complain about it while looking and feeling great Smile I lost 70 lbs on weight watchers years ago and keeping it off was like a 2nd job for me, all that counting and weighing and tracking.. I'm looking forward to it being simpler this time.. simply upping a few bites I take a day. What can get easier than that!!!? LOL I can't wait!!! so you are 5'4 like me, what is your goal weight? per dr lewis I should aim for 108 but I'm thinking 120-130 is more realistic for me. I honestly don't want to be a stick when this is done, but Id love love love to be a comfy size 6..what about you?
spryng
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post-its On The Mirror Empty Skinny Mini

Post  Bite_On_This Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:22 am

Hmmm, I think it'd be great to be between 110-120. Why not, right?! ...and I guess I know why working out prevents from quick weight loss. I worked out yesterday and today, and let me just say for dinner today I probably ate 1000 calories. So my total intake was about 1500 calories today, damn. The working out definitely makes you hungrier, not to mention the muscle weighing more than fat thing. I'll have to take it easy on the workouts then...I guess I'll have to find a sub for working out. Is that what Dr. Lewis says about working out?

Are you supposed to weigh yourself every day?

All my coworkers are doing Weight Watchers. They're fanatical about it. I think they're all trying to lose weight, none are in the maintenance phase. However they keep falling off the bandwagon then hopping back on, big surprise. I want this to be different though. I really feel the best way to go is the Snickers route for right now (the beginning). I had like 3 oz of steak for lunch today, that was a tease. And that probably got me laxidaisicle with my humungo dinner. I shoulda stuck with the Snickers. How long have you strictly stuck with the Snickers? I should just get huge pack from Costco or something bc it'd be so simple, but I know the lack of variation would drive me nuts sooner or later.

And...how's your fiber intake, do you take supplements?? I know I'm not getting enough fiber for sure...

Stumped, but ready to pick it up again,
Bite_On_This

Bite_On_This

Back to top Go down

Post  spryng Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:43 am

I only browsed the book at barnes and nobles so I can't remember everything he said about exercise but I think take a few walks a week? he isn't discouraging exercise at all but yes it will increase your appetite and you may see muscle gain which of course will make you look like you are gaining or stalling instead of losing. I think for me I'll just do light workouts, walks, swim... and then when at goal I'll up the workouts to really tone up.

I think it's fine to weigh daily as long as you understand our crazy fluid flucuations..no one can honestly gain weight on 500 cals or less a day so when the scale goes up slightly we need to know it's sodium or something else causing it, definitely not our 5 bites, lol I think for me I'm gonna just weight every other day or something.. I wanted to do it once a week but I can't stay off the scale that long, LOL

If snickers is working for you then stick with it!!! I have only had one so far on the plan but mostly because I'm not a big sweet eater. But I did buy a couple of paydays, I may have one for lunch today.

I think my fiber intake is fine. Each meal I'm getting protein and carbs with fiber and I'm going to the bathroom daily (sorry if tmi) but that is how I know my fiber must be ok, LOL but I'm making this diet as simple as possible. Just 5 bites and taking my multivitamin and I take fish oil, b vitamins etc. Are you taking your multivitamin? but I'm not weighing my food, or counting up the calories in it or anything, I just pick something I like for my meals, eat 5 bites of it and if there is leftover I save it for later or throw it out... I'm so bad about tweaking diets until they are no longer the same diet or making it so complicated I can't follow it any longer. This plan is already so simple I want to follow it to the letter Smile

SO here is to another great day on the plan for us!!! its a new day, no mistakes.. we can do this!!!!
spryng
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post-its On The Mirror Empty To the Tee..

Post  Bite_On_This Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:33 pm

I weighed myself this morning and after last night free-for-all (being bored at my boyfriend's) I upped my poundage by 2lbs with an overall loss of 4lb since starting3 days ago. I'll just go for the morning dog walk and keep consistent on that for a while Yoga and kettlells will have to wait. I'll just take you up on your advice with the light activity. Seeing the pounds drop on the scale is encouraging, I'll just get it done with.

I was watching OWN last night- a show called skinny vs. supersize. A skinny person takes the diet of the fat person (they basically swap diets) for a specific amount of time. The skinny girl who was my age, lost a ton of weight and eats 1700 calories a day but works out a ton, after the birth of her daughter. She's like 110lb at 5'7 and has 16.5 body fat. The doctor in charge said she was doing herself a disservice bc she cut out carbs at most meals. But they showed us what exactly she eats in a day: cereal for breakfast, a few bites of celery for lunch, a few bites of meat and veggies for dinner, no snacking, lots of running. Yea she was skinny, but her diet looked similar to what ours would be at maintenance phase I'm assuming. She looked like one of those model-types to me honestly. I've been doing a lot of research for motivation, though, the less you eat, the longer you live - whether or not your a bodybuilder/fitness guru. For instance, take Jack LaLanne super fit, health nut all his life, rock solid. His brother, a year his senior, average guy/build, lived to be a year longer than him. It definitely could be genetic. But my grandma who lived to be in her mid-nineties' secret (my dad says) was that she just never ate that much. Just had some fish and rice, never stuffed herself, and went back to chores......I think we may be on to something here...

My fiber intake sucks, I haven't gone in days! I take a multi vitamin and vitamin D incase I don't get enough sun/dark green veggies. Plus I'm totally PMSing, does that affect your weight when you're bloated/that time of month at all? Just wondering. Maybe I should drink benefiber or something like that..ick. I still do the black coffee in the morning thinking it'll help me out, nope..Any advice?

Here's to only having hunger for motivation,
Bite_On_This

Bite_On_This

Back to top Go down

Post  spryng Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:29 pm

that does make a lot of sense! eating less we don't bog our bodies down with constant work at digestion and storing food or fat, breaking down our bodies. that show sounds right up my alley! wish I got the OWN channel, I have dish and for some reason we don't have OWN. So does the heavy person take on the diet of the skinny person right? did she lose weight? and did the thin person gain?? I've always said I'd love to shadow a skinny person, eat exactly what they eat and do what they do and see if it's works, LOL that is so cool!

Yeah a fiber supplement sounds like it might help you. The vit D can cause constipation I know. So maybe take a fiber pill or something and see if that doesn't help. Those 2 lbs you gained should be gone in no time as well so don't dwell on it. I know that is hard for us women to do, LOL my scale showed me up .8 today but I know it's crazy because I can't gain on 500 calories a day! if I'm even hitting that many, it's probably more like 350 or something so it has to be sodium or something crazy going on but it's still hard for me to accept so I'm trying not to let the scale dictate my moods. Old habit hard to break, LOL

well if you need extra support I could totally be your texting diet buddy. LOL you could text me if you are feeling weak or wanting to cheat and I can sure talk you down, and vice versa. But only if you are comfortable with swapping phone #'s and your cell plan covers texting etc. I have verizon. So just a thought Smile
spryng
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post-its On The Mirror Empty I had no idea Vitamin D did that! Damn..

Post  Bite_On_This Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:58 pm

Thanks for the tip on Vitamin D. I just heard it's supposed to help your mood (especially when we don't get enough sunlight - can cause 'winter blues') so I take like 1000mg a day. I'll alternate days then. I'll look into the fiber thing too!

I think it'd be a great idea to text and email, actually. Email's #1 for me. I figure once work starts up again (in 2 weeks) I'll just pack a snickers bar in my bag, how easy is that!

Maybe you can go on HULU.COM and look up that show skinny vs. supersize. There's always good clips on the web. And once I finally get that book, I can share more infor with you.

Come to think of it, when I was big on yoga and practicing daily, my instructors and even books would say that you're a 'yogi if you eat once a day, and sick if you eat 3 times a day'. It went something like that. Our bodies don't really need that much food, it's true. And your physical/workout performance is that much better on an empty stomach bc it's not burdened with digestion etc and all that energy goes into focusing and the work. That's what my practice was like anyhow. I'm really starting to believe it and understand it.

So today I got my library card, got a bunch of expensive nail polishes and am just really going to keep busy around the house.

Sounds like you're doing an amazing job! Is the first time you've been on the 5bd? How long have you stayed on it? Maintenance sounds kind of intimidating but I know it's all about thinking day by day. And having a goal body type in mind is always good. Who's your role model body? I guess mine would be Kate Hudson/Bosworth. Girls who aren't too voluptuous I guess. I'm not very well-endowed up top so I appreciate small boobs Smile It's my way of feeling better..ha

All right. Keep on truckin' Smile

...i don't want to put my phone # or personal email on this forum. How do we trade contact info??

Bite_On_This

Back to top Go down

Post  Bite_On_This Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:01 pm

I tried private messaging you my info but new members can't send private messages for a full week in the beginning for some reason. Do you have Facebook??

Bite_On_This

Back to top Go down

Post  spryng Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:11 pm

I sent my cell # to you via private message on here, just check at the top of the screen, on the right it says Inbox or if you have a message it might say something else, but it's the 3rd box from the left, forum, profile, inbox, log out. I sent you a message there and I'll message you my email too! that is a great way for me too! I've got my email on my phone so it always gets to me.

yeah I checked Hulu for that show and didn't see it but I'll find it! LOL

yes this is the first time I've done 5BD and hope the last, LOL. I just want to do it right the first time around and be done with it, you know? I have no idea what maintenance will be like, I haven't met anyone on it as of yet. But I figure once I hit goal I'll add like a 5 bite breakfast and see how that fares, if I still continue to lose I'll add a bite a dinner etc until my weight remains the same then I'll know my perfect amount of bites each day for forever maintenance Smile I'm so excited to think about not having to eat special things or worry about calories, just eat this many bites and you'll maintain. Easy peasy, LOL

I just saw your other post...ok email me here spryngk at yahoo dot com and that is my personal email and I will give you my phone # etc Smile

my role model body would have to be like angelina jolie.. I like she is not too thin and has curves.. espeically after having so many kids, LOL I have 4 kids so I know the toll it takes on a body, LOL or maybe jessica alba? I am small on top too so I like normal looking actresses, LOL no Pam Anderson here, LMAO
spryng
spryng

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down