5 Bite Diet Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Back to Basics

5 posters

Go down

Back to Basics Empty Back to Basics

Post  backtobasics Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:15 am

Hey there!

Well, here I am with the 5 bite diet. Although I have eaten very lightly today, I will officially be starting tomorrow. For a long time I have battled with body weight issues and I have gradually gained probably around 15lbs in the past few years while trying to lose weight. I haven't read the book yet, but I have watched his video and it really, really makes sense! I love tea and I am not much of a morning eater anyways so I know that I won't have much trouble with the mornings. I think this journal will be very useful for the next 3 days as I hear they can be a struggle!

Questions:
Have most people here been eating the Snickers?
Should I work out while on this diet?
What do you find works best for your bites?

Any tips and tricks are greatly appreciated!

Today's meals:
tea
oranges x3
veggie sandwich
lentil and spinach soup

Cheers!

- E

PS. I currently don't have a scale with me so I will be estimating my weight loss and using how I look/how clothes fit as an indicator.

backtobasics

Back to top Go down

Back to Basics Empty Re: Back to Basics

Post  insanity Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:10 am

Hi backtobasics, welcome!

The video really has all the information you need. I personally enjoyed the book and found it motivating.

For me, I have not done the Snickers meals more than a couple of times. I have sometimes used snack/protein or meal replacement bars like Luna bars, Metroplex protein bars, or Power Bars. But I normally just eat regular food.

Some people work out, others don't. I believe Dr. Lewis recommends to continue your usual routine. You don't have to work out, but it doesn't hurt. But take it easy the first 3 days.

Check out my log. I usually eat stuff like yogurt, fruit, veggies, lean proteins or fish, nuts, pasta, brown rice.

Nice job on eating light today. I hope the diet works out for you. It really does work for weight loss, and I find it easy to tolerate. Easier than multiple small meals and snacking throughout the day. It's much easier to eat nothing (between meals) than it is to eat just a little. I have spent a long time counting calories, and lost about 20 lbs doing that. But when I can't count calories, I have always gone way overboard. However, I find it easy to stop at 5 bites rather than stop at X number of calories, since it's nearly impossible to count calories when away from home. I can't trust my hunger levels. When I eat according to my appetite, I can literally snack all day, especially on high-calorie food. I think I would just keep gaining and gaining if I didn't have a set limit to eat.

insanity
insanity

Back to top Go down

Post  backtobasics Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:21 am

Wow, thanks!

I forgot to add: I am a 19 yr old student, 5'7" and approximately 145 lbs. I have been struggling for a long time to each an ideal weight of around 130.. and when I was on the 5 bite site and it said that I will go down to an ideal weight of 118 I was surprised and very excited. I definetly hope to read the book sometime in the future, but it's good to know that the video has all I need!

I think I will do the snickers bars tomorrow... just to see how it goes (I also feel like they will be the easiest for my first day)

Thanks for all of your advice insanity! I will probably keep going to the gym but keep it lighter than usual.

backtobasics

Back to top Go down

Post  insanity Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:57 am

You're welcome! Many people like to use the Snickers as meals. It's convenient, especially since they are exactly 5 bites. An easy day at the gym will be a nice distraction from food. Sounds like you have a good plan for tomorrow.
insanity
insanity

Back to top Go down

Back to Basics Empty Day 1

Post  backtobasics Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:50 pm

Well, here I am over half way through day 1. Started my day at 6:30a with a loads of tea. At 11, I ate my Snicker bar lunch (I was studying and all I could think about was food so I went a bit early). So far today is going well; it is a bit hard to study sometimes but I know it's because I am at the beginning and it will get easier as I go along! I am planning on going to grab another bar around 5:30p. Also a pack of gum. I am not sure if this is allowed but I think I will need something to chew on to distract myself!

I am totally the type of person who will research and research things.. and it's amazing how much negativity there is towards this diet! I mean, it is very controversial.. but it does really make sense! What are your guys' thoughts on people who disapprove?

Anyways, so far I am feeling great and I already feel smaller. I also seem to have a lot of energy today! No mid afternoon sleepiness.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

E

backtobasics

Back to top Go down

Post  teaismyhappyplace Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:36 pm

i think that those people that are giving negativity are several things:
1- they have never tried the diet, so why hate on it?
2- they have different goals- if your trying to build muscle, or detox your body, or whatever else, this diet is NOT for you. If you are trying to lose weight quickly and then want to spend some time exercising to tone up then sign up!
3- this diet is for people with certain personalities i think, people that want fast results, dont want to spend money on "meal plan" kinda diets, and just need this over with.
4- this is not for people that are going to be dealing with social pressures of having to eat!

other than that i think their main issue is that they never tried it. But that taken into consideration, if your on this diet you have to understand your body and listen when it asks for you to take a break. Also you have to be aware of what your eating in terms of calories/fat content/ and overall health. Yes you can eat anything- but dont start shoveling in 5 bite of crisco... sense people! and yes, if you really wanted to you could probably SHOVE huge quantities of food into those 5 bites so "where's the portion control" but again- sense.

yes this is calorie restriction, yes this is probably going to be a little nutrient and protein deficient... but its SHORT TERM. ur not meant to be on this for a year. A month maybe, and then take a little break to get urself back to normal nutritionally, then jump back on. Get down to ur goal weight and then use this diet as a tool to drop maintenance weight here or there when needed.
teaismyhappyplace
teaismyhappyplace

Back to top Go down

Post  backtobasics Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:41 pm

I completely agree! I think the biggest thing is that people haven't tried it and right away think it is crazy. And I'm sure many people who hear of the idea don't understand that it is short term.

Thanks for your thoughts!

backtobasics

Back to top Go down

Post  Dmac Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:35 am

Welcome to the site best of luck nice to meet ya
Dmac
Dmac

Back to top Go down

Back to Basics Empty Day 2

Post  backtobasics Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:39 pm

Day 2!
(thanks for the welcome Dmac!)

2 days in and it is going well. I ended up having 5 bites of oatmeal for breakfast this morning since I had an exam at 9 and I knew if I didn't eat anything then all I would be thinking about is how hungry I was.

I also probably had a bit more than 5 bites at lunch.. I had 5 (big) pieces of sushi that I ate in 2 bites for each piece (I could have probably had them as one bite each.. but it would have been messy, haha). Anyway, I eyeballed it and the amount of food really wasn't much more than the snickers bar.

So far...

5 bites oatmeal (815am)
6-7ish bites sushi (100pm)
coffee with some soy (130pm)
lots of tea and water throughout the day

My plan is to hold off on dinner tonight (since I already had approx 10 bites today). If I absolutely am starving and must eat then I will have 5 more bites and leave it at that. Otherwise, I will just have tea and water all night.

It's amazing how much coffee fills you up!

backtobasics

Back to top Go down

Post  starbucks addict Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:52 am

welcome back to basics. your doing well Very Happy

yeah coffe is great at suppressing the appetite! and tea. also i find sparkling water helps keep me full if im not in the mood for something hot.
starbucks addict
starbucks addict

Back to top Go down

Back to Basics Empty Day 3

Post  backtobasics Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:30 am

Day 3:

Started the day off with tea and water, as usual. Around lunch time I had a Chocolate chip cliff bar which was roughly 5 bites. At dinner, I ended up having a regular sized meal of tofu and veggie stir-fry. I was a bit disappointed with myself for taking more than 5 bites at dinner, but after finishing the meal I was super surprised at how full I was! I would have never been that full before on that amount of food. Especially considering how hungry I was. Anyways, I'm not really considering this a 'fall off the wagon' because I only have a normal sized meal and I am sure that I am still in my calorie deficit. To make up for it, however, I will be heading to the gym tomorrow morning! I haven't really been working out much since starting the 5BD because I have been studying and that already makes me very hungry (studying uses a lot of energy, I swear!)

I have also decided that for now, at least until I get the hang of this I am going to try and limit myself to portion controlled foods (like snack bars, sushi, half sandwiches or whatever). If something is already portioned at an amount that is approximately 5 bites then there is no reason for me to go over and it is much easier. At least until I get the hang of this and stopping at 5 is easier. (Stir fry is VERY hard to stop! It looked so so so yummy..) Also, although I have heard that Dr. Lewis just says to eat quickly and get on with your day, I think eating slowly might be better. They say it takes 20 minutes for the brain to register that the stomach is full and considering that our stomachs are shrinking.. well if I had eaten slower tonight I probably wouldn't have eaten my entire meal.

Anyways, enough of my ranting.
Hope you all had a great day!

breakfast: tea, water
lunch: 5 bites cliff chocolate chip bar
dinner: tofu veggie stirfry, (small) muffin (I know, I know...bad)
lots of water through the rest of the night
also, I ate dinner around 530pm and it is 930pm and I am still so full! This makes me feel very good for when I am done the 5 bites and moving on to maintenance.. I know I will be full much much quicker and I will need way less food!

Good night!

backtobasics

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down